Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

dell Vostro 400 hangs att start up

• Please log in to reply

exergi

exergi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This is a problem occurring once in a while. This is the 4 th time in a period of little more than one year.
It starts like this, while working with my computer it slows down more and more. Things can happen so a restart can be a cure. No improvement and the next restart hangs.
The Bios passes, a message comes up quickly (can't recall, but this message always comes up) and then a black screen with a blinking score. The normal start procedure is like this and after blinking for maybe 10 s the OS, Vista Business starts. Now the score blinks on and on and never stops until I turn of the machine.

previous times this happened I've contacted Dell and as usual you get the advise to start i safe mode, which is impossible.......Next advise is to reinstall Windows. I refuse to do that since it will take me several days.
No, no satisfying help from dell. I've tried to have them replace my harddrive C since I think the problem is there. I've read some issues about Samsung 500 GB malfunctional drives. But they won't. Replacement will take a few days as well. Dell wants to blame Vista, but I think that it is a hardware problem.

I read about resetting CMOS. I tried that this time, but no result except a new error message that the floppy A can not be found. Changed in Bios so that massage is gone now. I can enter bios and I can enter Boot sequense.

In an odd way I've managed to get back again by running dell diagnostics. This takes many hours, but after testing everything that can be tested I've restarted the computer and than it runs again.

I wonder if this is a bios, software or hardware matter? Can it be that the cpu gets to warm? I've notised CPU temperatures around 60 °C. But this times the hang up happened when it's rather cold, it's real winter here. In summertime I can work with my computer when it's 26 ° in (and out) side.

I've installed BIOS 1.0.15, that was the best Dells support could do the last time, after having my computer running again and describing the matter for Dells support.

I would be very thankful for hints and explanation of the problem. In the meantime I will sit and wait while Dells diagnostic runs through the system. Hopefully it will work even this time. (2% done after 52 minutes)

Exergi

Advertisements