Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading Processor

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi,

I have finally decided to upgrade the processor in my parents machine. It is a Dell Dimension 2350. I am also going to upgrade the Ram to 1gb from 512mb. They currenly have a P4 1.8g 400fsb processor. I believe I can go up to a 2.8

My question is...How do I know what processor will work with the motherboard?

Here is a link to the motherboard.

I'm just kind of confused if just any P4 single core processor works, or what?

Also, if the FSB is higher than 400, is it backwards compatible?

Finally, will upgrading to say a 2.8 and increasing the RAM to 1gb be worth it? I'm planning on buying used parts, found some pretty good deals on Ebay for processors.

THanks,

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
According to Dell this computer does not support a 2.8 anything.
This computer is over five years old, therefore don't expect it to talk to a CPU that's under five years old. Your best bet may be simply to put more memory in it which, depending on how the system is performing, may bring better performance than a CPU upgrade.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Well, I was planning on getting a used cpu off ebay...just don't know what works. I don't really know how to do that when I build a new system either. All the specifications always say on the motherboard like Quad Core, Core 2 Duo, etc. with 800 FSB or whatever

According to that, does that mean I just go online (for a new system or old one) and just buy any Quad Core, or Core 2 Duo with 800 FSB if that is in fact what the motherboard specs are, and thats it?

I would just think it would be a little harder than that.

I will upgrade the RAM, but I just think getting the processor over 2.0 would really help too.

Thanks,

Edited by Ferrari, 03 March 2009 - 06:07 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
With respect, a Core 2 Duo or even a Quad Core is not going to work in that computer because of its age and also the fact you're mixing two different types of technology. Most of the Socket 478 processors were, admittedly, rubbish in most capacities anyway and many branded computers of the time simply put the Celerons in anyway. A Celeron processor, it doesn't matter what clock speed it is, will be slow to do anything anyway as it was designed around office and business use, not for anything heavier.

Your best bet would be to see if Dell, who made this computer, know what the top end processor is.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I will check with Dell.

I was just using the Quad and Core 2 Duo as an example. What I was asking is, Since the Dell motherboard has a 478, does that mean I can put any P4 478 in it?

Or if a motherboard says socket 775 on newegg and says it can do a quad, then I can just buy a quad 775? Assuming I match the FSB up.

Is it that simple?

Thanks,

Edited by Ferrari, 04 March 2009 - 04:52 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Not necessarily.
Theoretically yes, in reality probably not.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Ok thanks,

I will be sure to double check and maybe post a new topic when I build my computer this summer.

As for the Dell, I will check with them...might just upgrade the Ram.

Thanks for your time Neil,