Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Help! I can't open any of my backup files!

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Please help!!!!!

I backed up all of my files onto a DVD using NERO (Data DVD function). After creating the DVD, I opened several files and made sure that they functioned properly and they did.

I then formatted my PC.

Now, I am only able to open video files. I am UNABLE to open any photos or Microsoft Word or Excel Files. When I try to open the Excel files I get the error, "The file you are trying to open, 'Monthly Expense Spreadsheet.xls',is in a different format than specified by the file extension. Verify that the file is not corrupted and is from a trusted source before opening the file."

Photos: I get "The file format is not supported"

Word: Opens but is blank.