Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

media test failure

• Please log in to reply

u.n.i

u.n.i

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
hello,
i am experiencing the exact same problem.
PCI FAST ETHERNET CONTROLLER V2.11 MEDIA TEST FAILURE, CHECK CABLE
that is what is shown on my screen and it repeats over and over. i just put my computer together and this is the first time i've turned it on. this is my first computer i've built and i feel a little lost. i've followed the directions in the mainboard's instruction manual. if someone could PLEASE help me, that would be great. i'm just a little frustrated

Advertisements

u.n.i

u.n.i

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
sorry about "the exact same problem" line i copied and pasted for this topic. I NEED HELP <_<

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
hi
welocome to GTG
Did you install a PCI ETHERNET card when you built the system?
<_<

u.n.i

u.n.i

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
no which is why i thought it was weird.

i do not plan to use this computer for any online purposes.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
hi
what is the make and model of your motherboard?
<_<

u.n.i

u.n.i

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
my motherboard is the MSI 848p neo board.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
this Mb you have as an onboard lan did you install the drivers from the cd that come with the MB??
<_<

u.n.i

u.n.i

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i can't even get to that point yet.

are you saying if i have the mb drivers in the cd rom, then my computer will bypass this message?
i'll give it a try

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
hi
Ok now I'm a little lost on how far did you get did you install windows? or a other OS. where do you get the error?
<_<

u.n.i

u.n.i

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i just assembled the computer and when i first turned it on, it won't get past the screen that says media test failure.
i have not been able to install anything yet.

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
Are you using a boot disk when you boot the system?
<_<

u.n.i

u.n.i

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
yes

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
Ok now that I get a good nights sleep and more info on your problem it come to me what we are looking at the only thing is it can be more the one thing. Please only do the things I list one at a time.

1) checked the ide cables first On cd-rom, floppy drive, hard drive and also that the hard drive jumper is set as master (red edge of ide cable facing power and red edge on mother board is set to the power pin) ( if the green light on your floppy stays on that cable is not set right)

after checking all try to boot system.

2) remove the ide cable from your cd-rom and the power core and try to boot system (if it does boot most likely the cable is bad and you will need a new one)

after removed both cables (still unplug) try to boot system

3) if one of the frist two did not fix it then its a bois setting that not set right it may be tring to boot your system from a network.

How do you feel on makeing bois setting changes?

<_<

u.n.i

u.n.i

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi
okay, now i am past the screen that says media test failure. i can get to the main menu where i make my bios settings.....sometimes.

when i start using this screen, the computer will usually shut off once i type in a keyboard command. then when i try to restart, half the time the computer will turn off once the logo for the mainboard has appeared...any suggestions?

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
hi
what are you trying to change in the bios? In most cases there is no reason to make changes to your bios. you really don't want your system to be reboot when your in your bios it could mess up your bios setting I would boot from a bootdisk or cd-rom to install your OS frist.
<_<

PS: how did you fix your media test failure problem????