Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Apache External Access

• Please log in to reply

smadam9

smadam9

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I have created a home server on my Windows XP machine by installing Apache.

I used to have external access (entering my IP from another computer and accessing the files on my computer), but I restarted my computer one day and now it asks for a password with a "Secure Login" page along with a username txt box and password box.

I've searched online for some help on this problem but nothing seems to be matching my case.

If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey smadam9,

Do you have a static IP setup for your machine? If not, when you restarted your computer, your IP may have changed, so you may no longer be connecting to the correct computer.

That's the only thing that springs to my mind; I don't see any reason why your security settings would have changed due to a restart.

What sort of network setup do you have? Router? Modem? Multiple computers?

[EDIT]On your machine, open a command prompt (Start > Run > type cmd) and type ipconfig /all -- is the IP Address listed there what you would expect?

You may also have some better luck if you post in our Web Development forum.

- Dan

Edited by Dan, 05 March 2009 - 12:52 AM.

smadam9

smadam9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Yes there is a Static Ip address. All the requirements of a home server and external access seem to be met already. Something is going wrong though.

If anyone could tell me where this screen comes from:

smadam9.gotdns.org (thats my temp domain for my IP) and I get the same screen when I type my IP directly.

I can't figure out what that login screen is. I would appreciate any help.

Thank you all