Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD question for the super genius

• Please log in to reply

King Shlomo

King Shlomo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, before I post, thanks in advance for reading.

I have a Compaq Presario C300 that I dropped. I broke the LCD screen. I replaced the screen and the laptop now works :) ... sort of. :)

Each time I use the laptop I must power it either 4 or 5 times before it works. It's nearly identical each time. The first one or two times I hit the power button I hear the fan and hard drive start spinning, but the screen doesn't come on. The next one or two times it gets past the bios to the windows XP status bar or desktop and freezes. Considering that I dropped it, I don't find that so strange, but what I do find strange is that after these 3 or 4 times it will work for hours without any problem. It's almost like starting an old car. It always has problems right at the beginning when I haven't used it for a while (overnight or a few hours). The other thing is this. After I've used it for hours and go to shutdown through the start menu it freezes almost every time during the shutdown process and I have to manually push the power button.

That being said, please don't tell me to just get another laptop. Obviously I know that's an option, but I'm a recent IS graduate so I'm looking at it also as a project and learning experience. I have also already backed up everything to an external hard drive. I have also already completely disassembled, cleaned and checked for physical damage. There is no visible damage internally.

I have a few guesses. My first guess is that the motherboard is damaged and some of traces that provide power or others were damaged and need to warm up or build up some amount of electrical charge before they will work correctly. In that case I will eventually just replace the laptop. My other guess would be that the video inverter card is damaged and is causing these problems. This is what I'm hoping it is because its cheap and easy to replace.

Please let me know if I'm close and what you think it could be.

Thanks a lot

J

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
since you dropped it...it could be any of the things you've already thought of...there could be any number of breaks that you can't see....stuff broken inside of things that you could never see...laptops are touchy at best and they REALLY don't like being dropped....

King Shlomo

King Shlomo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for replying. Those things you said are all true but I'm looking for some suggestions and/or ways to test what it is.