Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HD backup--Norton Ghost

• Please log in to reply

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
I have Norton Ghost v14, and I just used it to backup my primary HD onto a new secondary drive (which I simply used windows partition wizard to setup, format, etc.). I had read about some mac backup programs like carbon copy or superduper that created fully "bootable" backup copy--essentially, one reviewer said, so if one drive went totally bad, the backup drive could be switched to (I guess simply by switching from "slave" to "master"?) and ready to go. Is this the kind of backup that Norton Ghost creates? I'm doubtful, b/c wouldn't that imply that since it's for Windows it would be creating a Windows os copy on the backup drive so it would be ready to use all on its own? I know Windows is pretty complex to install on a new HD, and I can see from the disk space that Norton Ghost backed up that only about 40 of my "used" 50 gigs was backed up...so maybe 1) norton ghost does not copy the windows os or 2) norton ghost compressed my 50 used gigs to roughly 40 somehow. I'm just looking for some clarification on how this all works, since clearly I'm a noob at a lot of this. Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Ghost can clone drive to drive or drive to an image file. Yes it will cone the entire lot. Compression means you've made an image file.
All you do is if the drive does fail, boot off your Norton Ghost CD, fire up the program which is in one of the subfolders, then use it to image the back-up back to the new hard drive.

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Ok--that's good to know.... The Bad: I just tried to run a windows disk error check and it would not make it past phase 4. Then I downloaded Western Digital diagnostics software. It gave me some dismaying results--for both my drives! I think I should post this in a more appropriate topic area though. If interested, see: http://www.geekstogo...ml#entry1478517

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Actually, I ended up copying my old hd to my new hd, so I can use the new hd now as my main one. I'm not sure if I did everything exactly as should have, but mostly it seems to have worked. the bottom windows tool bar looks a little different, some very minor change in the Outlook display, but the Audio does not want to work right now. I get a general Windows message that "there is a problem with the sound device..." I can play videos, but the sound still won't play. The sound devices all seem to be where they should be, though. And they are all "working properly" according to the sound devices window. Everything else so far seems fine, but I haven't tried too much yet. I also tried to play files with from the old hd (since that is hooked up still but as a slave/backup disc), but no sound and the same message occurs. Any ideas? Thank you.
(Also, the audio set up on my system is a bit different than normal: I have M Audio Delta card with mixer hooked up to that....but I don't know why that would cause any problems for the copied drive to recognize.)

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Never mind--must have been a sys. hiccup. upon that first reboot. Seems to have fixed itself upon multiple reboot attempts now!