Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to merge XP & Vista registries

• Please log in to reply

jossy01

jossy01

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've bought a new PC with Vista. I've put my old XP drive into a USB case to access the software. All of the software from the XP drive opens up in Vista but prompts me for registration/serial number info. If I don't enter this info, the program runs OK in demo mode. If I do enter serial no info it runs OK and I don't have to register again. What this says to me is that it's feasible to run software from the old XP drive as a USB device but it looks to the Vista registry for info that is actually in the XP registry. Is there a way to merge the registries so I don't have to re-enter serial no info?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
No. You'll be lucky if the Vista machine ever boots again if you do merge the registry.
Your best bet is to reinstall the software from the original CDs which will put all the registry keys as they should be for the software in question. Not all software runs in this fashion - most of it requires re-installation from CD.