Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account Login to Account

Office 2003 --error outlook not installed for current user

• Please log in to reply

orangecat1

orangecat1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have seen other threads with a similar subject, but no one has a solution.

I have XP Pro SP3 , Office 2003 Pro sp3. AMD Barton 2500+, 1 Gig ram.

This machine has been working fine for two years. I noticed that updates for VS2005 Express (Sp2 and 3) had failed. I tried to download these updates manully and install them. They continuously failed. At that point I decided to removed VS2005 Express and install VS2008 Express (latest version was sp1).
I did this yesterday - with some difficulty. Had to install new windows installer 4.5 as part of the process.

Got it all installed fine this morning.

Then noticed that Outlook was giving this "Outlook not installed for current user" error.
Searched Google and M$oft found some threads, but none seemed to have a solution. The problem also seems to have happened in the past with Office 2000, and also with Office 2007 and Vista.

According to the items I found the problem happens with Outlook, Excel, Access, Word and Powerpoint.
ie <program> was not installed for the current user

I tried to do a repair of Office 2003 -- no change
I then did a remove and reinstall ( insert CD click on SETUPPro). Suuccessful install messages, then got latest updates. Again applied successfully.

The error message is still there when I attempt to open any of Excel, Outlook, Word, Access.

I have tried creating a new user profile (Administrator priv). In setting up the email account I went to Control panel -- Mail and can see my old account and new account. I can expand the settings and actually test the connection successfully.

BUT, when I try to launch Outlook I get the error message still. I get the error message when I try to launch Access and Excel, and just tried Word (same error).

Seems something has modified a profile or some info.

Any body have some suggestions or ideas???
Has anyone solved this???

Advertisement

orangecat1

orangecat1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Solved.

This problem , at least in my instance, was caused by a corrupt user profile.

Solution is listed in KB811151. It has nothing to do with Outlook or Office 2003.