Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Caution AGV 8.5 download ? vaulted non virus XP & Xp system .exe

• Please log in to reply

K.Wandrey

K.Wandrey

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi just throwing this out there since It seems I'm burned by malware. I've been using AVG Fee for years and just now loaded 8.5 since my 7.5 was disabled by a malware(running XP SP 3 with Firewall and Up to date AVG 7.5) . I really wanted to just re load 7.5 and keep on using it and actually 7.5 ran fine when prompted just the auto start utility was disabled. 7.5 seemed to clean up a few items and was up to date as of 2 weeks. since 7.5 was messed up I went ahead and loaded 8.5 AGV . Well it tagged 149 files many .exe files that were my old reliable files from past employment custom VB math converters as well as other solid .exe files . I even saw some Adobe Photo shop root files etc with .exe extension. It alarmed me but also figured on STD dialog to choose threats etc like previous versions. any way I let it vault them and AVG Prompted for reboot to clean a few files . I let it reboot and now I’m screwed . It looks like my CMD. exe Task manager is gone. all Icons and system tray are gone / All I get is my old windows desktop screen and a curser. I tried safe boot in several configurations as well as re installing windows to attempt to find previous version and repair but no luck. I'm running XP Home SP3 on a 1 tear old Intel Dual Pentium Chipset Gateway attached Forum comments from AVG . they moved my AVG 8.5 Forum post likely to may their marketing look better but I'm in a mess with this. In Safe boot was able to get task manager attempt to run task and was able to browse and found Vaulted files but they all gave odd extensions so no telling how to restore these .exe files. I had to fix antivirus 2008 a while back, booting with DOs CD etc and loading a few programs on our desktop so I'll be looking back to hopefully restore this system that ran so well ! prior to all this.

latest posts from AVG Forum below

G 8.5 FREE - vaulted XP system files .exe
Posted by: K.Wandrey (IP Logged)
Date: March 4, 2009 08:51PM

Hi , Operating system XP SP2 running on 1 year old gateway laptop. I had been running AVG 7.5 for quite a while and let my kids play Runescape with it this weekend. When I got the PC back it had 20 web page pop ups open. Disabled Windows Firewall Disabled corrupt AVG No System restore points.
Figured a bad case of spyware or Virus. I Ran Spybot and it cleaned many errors. Then loaded AVG 8.5 from download - free. It un installed my 7.5 and I started a full system scan. Watching the Scan I noticed several small Visual basic (.exe) programs I had from work ( fraction converters etc.) getting tagged as well as Windows Notepad.exe ETC . 149 files some in Adobe elements, My cad programs etc. It looked odd that it tagged so many .exe files that I really figured were Okay. I selected continue and it needed to reboot. Now I have no Icons , No CMD.exe to do a command prompt , task manager .exe is gone No system tray only desktop wallpaper no icons . How can I fix this? I tried to reinstall windows thinking it would do a repair but it thinks there is only 995MB on my partition when its a 160GB HD and I know i have at least 80GB available.

Options: Reply To This Message•Quote This Message•Follow This Thread•Edit Post
Re: AVG 8.5 FREE - vaulted XP system files .exe
Date: March 4, 2009 08:53PM

Operating system is XP Home edition. at least SP2. Automatic updates was enabled so latest XP Sp was installed.

Date: March 4, 2009 09:12PM

I tried to use restore XP from command line from XP install disk and I can access C: I'm quite rusty on dos commands . If I can find the Virus Vault could it be possible to move at least the windows .exe files back to regain XP functions ? maybe then I can try and move the vault items back? or is there an Undo ? I'm not sure if my system restore was still screwed up so this is a mess. I knew I should not have upgraded to 8.5 UG

Posted by: rdsok - Moderator (IP Logged)
Date: March 4, 2009 10:00PM

Moved to the proper forum area for this type of posting.. please pay attention to where you are posting in the future and make sure that it fits with the subject of the forum area you are posting in. For more info on what the various forum areas are for see the Descriptions of the various forum area's.

Moved to the Virus forum area.

It sounds like the files in question got infected and if so you don't want them back... but your lack of info makes me just guess about it.

You didn't provide us all the information that we need to help you. Read PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING - AVG Forum How to Ask for Help, provide all of the information mentioned in that post so that we may help you properly.

Options: Reply To This Message•Quote This Message•Follow This Thread
Date: March 5, 2009 01:20AM

Sounds like BS to me I have head of new .exe files being added or .dll files being changed /added but known working .exe compiled files? It looks like 8.5 over selected to me.
Can I extract the virus vault files ?
This looks to have been originally in the correct Forum 8.5 issues. I realize marketing folks dont want issues with new releases showing up but pissed off users spreading the news is no good either.

Posted by: rdsok - Moderator (IP Logged)
Date: March 5, 2009 01:41AM

You are welcome to believe what you want... but I've been fixing computers professionally for well over 20 years... If you have not heard of a executable file getting infected, you have no room or experience to argue with this possibility.

This is about the detected infections... this is the proper forum area. If you want assistance you will need to provide the other info as requested.

This has nothing to do with marketing people... the forum help is only from other AVG Free users as you were informed earlier.

Options: Reply To This Message•Quote This Message•Follow This Thread
Date: March 5, 2009 03:49AM

Okay AVG 7.5 ran a scan prior to this and all I wanted to do was restore the interface portion that was messed up . and 7.5 was up to date I was not online and loaded 8.5 from a flash drive and was not online since 7.5 scan . so 8.5 was running a different criteria . why is 8.5 issues bumped to Virus section. I t seems to me i got suckered into a Beta release and burned bad.

Edited by K.Wandrey, 04 March 2009 - 09:16 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Well, I've been trying to tell people on different boards to stay away from AVG 8.0, because with that version all troubles started.
Like yours.
I've been using AVG for years, and I dumped it with 8.0 version.
Now, AVG 7.5 support ended on March 1st, I believe, so there is no way back.

You listed several problems, but at what point are you now?

K.Wandrey

K.Wandrey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm screwed It seems many of my windows and other exe filed are vaulted and without normal extensions to put them back if I could get them back . My system boots to only a desktop image and curser. same with safeboot. Ctrl Alt Del to access task manager faults cannot find tskmgr.exe windows safe boot with cmd boot same Cmd,exe not found it vaulted that also.
The Malware screwed up XP SP3 firewall, disabled auto AVG scan as well as locked up my system restore . I got the calendar but would not go back and never allowed selecting system restore date. I'm hoping I can find the website that helped me with antivirus 2008 that we got on another computer last year. There was a boot disk .exe program to run that seemed to roll back system ? then followed by a few spy ware follow-up programs. I'm not sure if it can fix this AVG Mess I likely could have resolved my issues if i didn't use the AVG 8.5 or at least halted its scan and looked a little closer. My Gateway came with Vista and it was a chore slipstreaming XP with proper HD drivers etc not to mention I’m running Solid modeling software MS office etc what a mess. I was able to boot in safe mode and prompted Ctrl Alt del and got task manager on time and with start task was able to browse but that's not enough need some big guns.

Edited by K.Wandrey, 04 March 2009 - 09:57 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
It's a mess. I'd try to slave the drive in another computer, recover data, and go for clean install.
I highly doubt, you straight things up.

K.Wandrey

K.Wandrey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I found how i repaired antivirus 2008 aon Majorgeeks MG Tools.exe Not sure how it will run from safe boot but may be worth a try. I have a home network established and hoped I could access my files and move them to another PC but net work is not running maybe I can enable that task from safeboot task manager?
What pissed me off the most was AVG Forum admin staying all the files were infected... BS. 7.5 just scanned them and they were fine.

Edited by Rorschach112, 05 March 2009 - 06:44 AM.
removed malware advice

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
See, the problem here, seems to be a mix of the infection (which I bet is not fully cured), and AVG screw up.
That only may be the major problem to solve (if possible at all).

R-C

R-C

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Not sure but you many be able to put in a linux live cd and boot to cd and at least salvage your data from that partition. Here are some links that describes the procedure.
use linux live cd

tutorial

using ubuntu cd

K.Wandrey

K.Wandrey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
AVG 8.5 problems
I messaged AVG marketing person that just wrote up press release (March 2nd) on the new 8.5 and since then I have been contacted by someone via email to help resolve these issues( although they never actually called today to resolve this as he said he would when they messaged me on email) . I uploaded the 8.5 vault files for their download to figure out what happened and hopefully re-extract and I and figure out how to patch this ? (almost 46MB) ! Zipped to 27MB. Hope they come through with some support. at this point I would consider 8.5 a Beta with BUGS. no telling what it has cost me yet. Ken

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Keep us posted. I'm curious about the outcome.