Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Logon logoff loop in xp

• Please log in to reply

Timreid

Timreid

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I read the fix for the logon logoff loop. NOGO...I didn't have the files suggested. I compared my working harddrive and it doesn't have wsaupdater. (not sure what's going on there but the os runs perfectly) Something else happened as well. After initially using recovery console and then attempting to boot into xp, when I tried to boot from cd again to go back to recovery the computer shut down completely... not once but every time. I booted the working drive and decided to run spybot and guess what? Yep, same thing after starting spybot. I'm currently running norton 360. It has found more viruses. Hopefully I can run spybot after...

Is userinit a common file or is it unique to each install? Can I just copy userinit from my working os to the infected one and fix the problem?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I'm completely confused... :)
your in a booting loop but your running norton???
can you get booted to your desktop or not...

Timreid

Timreid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, sorry for starting in the middle! I have three hard drives in my computer all with win xp sp 3. Hard drive 1 is the original 500G sata with a corrupt network file (that I have not been able to fix) that will not allow any network access. So I added hard drive 2, a 120G hard drive I had from an old computer. I was using this drive as a boot and os drive while still using drive 1 for storage and data. Drive 2 caught the bug. So I added drive 3, an 80G that I am now using to run antivirus and spyware software (as well as performing the other normal chores) to fix the other two.

(Deep Breath)

Now, I'm trying to clean drive 2 using drive 3. I tried the recommended fix for the logon/logoff loop on drive 2 but that netted the problem described in my original post. I'm also comparing files between the three drives and investigating suspicious and or dissimilar files. I'm running norton's from drive 3 and performing the diagnostics with same. When I think I have a fix I disable drive 3 and test drive 2.

Clear as mud?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Please go to the malware forum Start HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then start a new topic in the MALWARE FORUM forum here...

because of your unusual setup tell them I sent you and include a link to this thread...they need to be aware that there are 3 drives all with a OS on each drive