Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

annoying noise

• Please log in to reply

cocoloco

cocoloco

• Pip
  • 8 posts
As long as I can remember my computer has emitted a very annoying frequency/buzz through the speakers/heaphones. The sound will change if there is something graphically happening on the screen, especially using the mouse.

Instead of trying to explain the sound, I recorded a quick sample which you can donwload here: noise.mp3

(the changes in frequency are when the mouse is being moved. I also amplified it a bit to make it easier to hear.)

Because my video card is very close the onboard sound, I assumed it was this (still might be?). Today I put in a new souncard 4 slots away from the video card and I still get the noise. It doesnt matter what the volume is on the pc or whether it's speakers or headphones, the noise is always there. Very irritating!

Specs:

PSU: EarthWatts 500 Watt power supply
CPU: Intel E6750
RAM: 2x1gb corsair
GPU: Inno3d 8800 GTS 312mb
Motherboard: gigabyte GA-P35-DS3

I have a nice stereo setup, and this constant high pitched whine is ruining it!
The only solution I can think of is to use an external soundcard, but I would prefer to try and at least work out what's causing it, and knowing my luck it would probably still be there anyway!

Any advice or suggestions most welcome. Thanks.

Advertisements

cocoloco

cocoloco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I've taken everything out accept the motherboard, hdd, and psu and I still get the noise.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Possible HD whine or PSU. I have seen (heard) both.
In fact I have a HD that is whining now.

cocoloco

cocoloco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Any ideas how I might go about figuring out which one?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
You have to pull the side off and listen. I know it will be difficult, but short of replacing them, there is not a real easy way.

Being that the PSU is in back and the HD is in front should make it a little easier.

cocoloco

cocoloco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the replies! I've tried all the suggestions - and many others. Somehow I've managed to get rid of the noise in the headphones but not in the amp for my stereo. I tried a different amp and theres no noise. So somehow this amp is picking up inteference.

But Im pretty sure the amp is fine, as it plays back other sources perfectly.
So very confusing. My best guess so far is a ground loop problem.