Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer slow to start and slow to shut down

• Please log in to reply

cherokele

cherokele

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
It was suggested that I go to start-run-type in "eventvwr" which I did but could not figure out what to do from there. There were some cautiond and some red x's. I have a windows xp home edition, sp3. It has just gotten slower and slower. I went in and deleted all the software that I rarely use. I have run your suggested Malware/Spyware removal, but nothing seems to help. Thank you for you time and patience.

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello cherokele & Welcome to GTG

There are many of reasons a computer may slow down...

I advise you to read artellos post here : http://www.geekstogo...ow-t210685.html

I had the same problem some time ago

Try this

Start> run > type "msconfig" once the window loads " system configuration utility " click on the " BOOT.INI " Tab , check the box /NOGUIBOOT

Helped my boot up time dramatically

Best Of Luck

Anthony19

PS: Let us know how it all goes !

cherokele

cherokele

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thank you so much for the advice. I did as you said and it helped some but still a lot slower than normal. I have deleted all the start up menu except for the firewall and virus scan. As you can probably tell I am not very smart when it comes to trying to fix what goeds wrong. Again, thank you. I appreciate you so much.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
on a desktop you uncheck everthing EXCEPT the AV and firewall...on a laptop you have to be more selective or your touchpad ...wireless and things like that won't work...you will have to google each one and then decide what you can get rid of in the start up....

these tweaks will speed you up some...
turn off indexing...click ...START...MY COMPUTER...right click on the hard drive...properties..uncheck allow indexing and compress drive...then click on OK...when it asks about subfolders say YES...it will take a little while to finish...

go to add/remove programs and get rid of anything you don't want or use
get rid of real player... Quicktime ...and Adobe reader
they are resource hogs
get CCLEANER here
To clean your temp folder, recycle bin, etc..please download this free tool...

CCleaner

Don't install any Toolbars, or other programs, should it ask you!Just
uncheck the option of installing the Yahoo toolbar....if you get
the slim version it does not have the toolbar
thats the one I recommend...

It will put a shortcut on your Desktop.

Before first use...
Select Options then Advanced.
UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
The rest of the standard settings are fine...

Click on CCleaner to start it. Then click "Run Cleaner"

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE OTHER TOOLS...RUNNING THEM MAY CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS

this replace's Adobe reader
Foxit Reader is a free utility that includes some tools that Adobe lacks, including a "typewriter" tool that lets you type text over any PDF, and edit any of the text they contain. not just files that have been set with form fields.
Foxit launches very quickly (in about one second) and it requires no installation... It allows you open, view, print, and change the page layout in PDF files. For some functions, such as the typewriter function, FoxIt Reader shows an ad for FoxIt Reader Pro. However, these functions still work with minor limitations.
get foxit reader

I highly recommend these alternatives to quicktime and real player..
they both are
- Quick and easy install..about 30 seconds..
- No background processes
- Low on resources
- Smaller size
QuickTime Alternative ...QuickTime Alternative will allow you to play QuickTime files (.mov, .qt, .3gp and other extensions) without having to install the official QuickTime Player...get it here..

get Real Alternative here..... will allow you to play RealMedia files without having to install RealPlayer or RealOne Player.
==================================================================
Starting Disk Cleanup

* Click Start ... Programs... Accessories ... System Tools ... Disk Cleanup
OR
* In Windows Explorer or My Computer... right-click the disk in which you want to free up space... click Properties... click the General tab... and then click Disk Cleanup....

next get diskeeper lite here...
and Defragment Your Computer

I hate newspaper articles that start on the front page but continue somewhere in the middle of the newspaper. I could get through the article much faster if it was printed on consecutive pages like a magazine article. Files on your computer can either be fragmented like a newspaper, or unfragmented like a magazine. Over time, more and more files become fragmented. When a file is fragmented, it takes longer for the computer to read it because it has to skip to different sections of the hard disk—just like it takes me a few seconds to find a page in the middle of a newspaper.

you do not have to defrag in safe mode with diskeeper lite and its 10 times as fast than the defragger that comes with windows....
you should time your computer before doing these and then again after doing the tweaks..

cherokele

cherokele

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thank you again for your help but I did as you said and now it is slower to shut down and to start up. Also my IE and Yahoo home pages are slower to open. Any other suggestions?? It drives me crazy to wait so long for these to open.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you should have got a big speed bump....
Please go to the malware forum Start HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then start a new topic in the MALWARE FORUM forum here...
if after getting a all clean from the malware pros...and your still having the same problem...post back here again

cherokele

cherokele

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
The speed is a lot better, thanks to you. You'll never know how much I appreciate you time on this matter. Again, Thank you.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know..
did you go thru the malware forum....

cherokele

cherokele

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
yes,Idid. it is a lot faster now than before. I do still have trouble with opening my home page (yahoo) ot IE. They are very slow to open.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and test your speeds...try 2 servers..1 close to you and 1 across the country from you..report back what they are...
try firefox and see if you have the same problems...get it here...it will offer to get all your favorites (bookmarks)..during the install...JUST YOUR BOOKMARKS...don't let it get cookies or history
do it ...
also go here and get the hosts.zip file...
open it and click on the mvps.bat icon..it will take about 2 seconds and then say ..press any key to continue..press the spacebar and thats it....

Edited by happyrock, 07 March 2009 - 07:16 PM.

cherokele

cherokele

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I went where you said and the results were: Dallas5102 and 645 Atlanta was 5133and635

cherokele

cherokele

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I went where you said and the results were: Dallas5102 and 645 Atlanta was 5133and635

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you have great speeds...did you try firefox yet...it will tell us if its a browser issue..if you don't want to try firefox there is google's chrome...get it here...I have been using it off and on...its fast but there a couple of extensions that firefox has that I refuse to give up

Edited by happyrock, 08 March 2009 - 07:12 AM.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello cherokele

I also recommend firefox ( safe , fast , and many of add-ons readily available )

There are tweaks to make firefox even faster , can be found here : http://www.geekstogo...er-t177375.html

Just follow kelvin's advice

Best of luck !!!

Anthony19