Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows explorer 7 and Modzilla Firefox

• Please log in to reply

killa bot

killa bot

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, I'm a first timer, hope someone can help me.
So about a month ago windows explorer crashed and I had too restore my initial XP Pro settings, everything works great. XP Pro is super better than vista, I used vista for a year and wasn't very impressed.
ANYWAYS, I downloaded Firefox and both firefox and explorer work just fine.
EXCEPT that whenever I stream media like music or video, it takes super long, about 3 minutes for a song to play and I haven't waited long enough to watch any videos, takes way to long.
I was hoping someone would know what is causing this horrible delay in lightning fast media.
thank you

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi killa bot...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
go here and take the speed tests...try at least 2 sites...one close to you and one across the country from you...
post your speeds back here...

killa bot

killa bot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, thank you for responding.

I went to San Fransisco, and it took 24788 kbps to download and 276 kbps to upload.
then I went to New York and it took 17747 kbps to download and 258 kbps to upload.

Hope this helps you come to a solution.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
those speeds are plenty fast for anything you want to watch/listen to...
go here and test to see if you have the latest versions of flash and shockwave ...if you don't it will offer to update or install them...do it..
reboot and see how its working...

nojoy
tell us exactly what sites are you having the issues with...

killa bot

killa bot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,
I installed shockwave player 11 and it did boost the media speed a little, not much though.
All my media was streaming super fast, then internet explorer crashed I believe due to the new beta edition.
After that I restored my original xp settings from the hard copy and installed modzilla and both modzilla and explorer are super slow to stream media.
It happens on every site, from youtube to any musicians site.

Any other recommendations.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what do you mean by this...

After that I restored my original xp settings from the hard copy and installed modzilla

killa bot

killa bot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey,
Sorry for the vague sentence. What happened is after Internet Explorer crashed I used my original XP Pro disc and restored the original settings for the operating system XP Pro. After that I installed Modzilla Firefox and set it as the default browser.
Both programs work well except that media is very slow to begin. (Slow in comparison before I restored my operating system). Streaming media before was lightning fast.

Hope that clarified your question?

Could ask another question regarding media.?
When I replaced Vista to XP Pro I wasn't able to play dvds using Windows media player. A dialog box came up and told me to adjust my graphics card setting. So I installed a Catalyst Control for my ATI radeon graphics card. After I installed I got another dialog box that said I needed to install Microsoft Net Framework 2.0. So I did just like I had done with my Vista operating system, but I still cant play dvds on my computer. And I'm not able to get Catalyst control center to work.

Any Ideas?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I believe your saying you did a clean install of xp where there had been vista before..
did you get all the updates for xp...
go here and test Test Adobe Shockwave & Flash Players...if you don't have the latest versions it will offer to update them...
get them installed and retest to make sure

now that you have net framework installed ...uninstall Catalyst control center...then reinstall it...
no joy...
get XP Codec Pack here and install it and see if you can play dvd's