Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Startup error message

• Please log in to reply

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
This has all been rather interrupted by other things, but now hoping to wind this up.

Can I just double check: is Msconfig now supposed to look like this? (With the addition of WinPatrol I can't get the screenshots with one entry at the bottom of the first and the top of the second as I did before, but these two definitely cover all the entries.)Screenshot_3.JPG Screenshot_4.JPG

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
ctfmon is a process belonging to Microsoft Office Suite.....It activates the Alternative User Input Text Input Processor (TIP) and the
Microsoft Office XP Language Bar...
uncheck it....
note scottie the watch dog will pop up saying msconfig wants to add a startup blah blah...say no...its just that popup saying you have changed the way windows starts when you boot up...by saying no it will not popup...
have you noticed your system is more responsive....

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
I have done all the things you suggested, HappyRock, and for the time being all seems to be well. (I'm not sure that the system is more responsive overall. I expect I have other rubbish that I should be cleaning out that is slowing things down, but sometimes it seems you need to spend as long doing things for the computer as you do using it!)

Thank you so much for your help

Sue.words

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what are your system specs....processor... ram...hard drives...ect...

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
I hope this is what you asked for - it comes fromMy computer > View system information.

Pentium ® 4 CPU 3.06 GHz
3.06 GHz, 1.93 GB RAM

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thats decent specs...your computer should run fine...