Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Installing Office XP

• Please log in to reply

BrownBear

BrownBear

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Updated my computer, I can not reinstall Office XP, I keep getting an error message "can not find C:\Program Files\OfficeUpdate11\Cabs\511974".

My old version of Office 2000 installs fine but all of my files are 2002 and above so my old version can not read them.

Can one help!!!!!!!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I had that with Office XP and it doesn't bother telling you until most of the way through, I cleaned the disc and kept going from install, cancel install, install and eventually it went on.

Are you using the same drive you installed XP OS

BrownBear

BrownBear

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi. Keith
Bear with me, I'm not really expert in this. I first upgraded (old computer) from Win '98 to Win XP, had Office 2000 in old computer. Technicians who upgraded Windows installed Office Professional XP (2002), that worked fine after the upgrade. My computer was awfully slow, so I then upgraded to a faster computer, technicians transferred all programs (not Office Professional) and files from old computer to my new one, they also installed Office 2003 in the new computer with a newer version of Win XP (don't know what that is). I started having problems with Office 2003, since the technicians who sold me the new computer told me there was no warranty on software, (just on the hardware that came on the computer). They said they couldn't help me, but suggested I uninstall Office 2003 and to reinstall Office Professional XP (2002). That's where I'm at NOW. (No Office 2003 and I can't reinstall my Office Professional XP (2002). I know that a long answer to your question but with my limited knowledge of all of this, that's the best I can do. Any help could be greatly appreciated

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What was the problem with 2003

With Office XP I just pressed cancel install when it gave the cab file corrupt / not found then pressed install, after a few goes it loaded

BrownBear

BrownBear

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Could not install any Window updates, and I would get the window that read "Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003" The next window would ask me for the CD since the technicians who upgraded my computer did not provide me with a CD, I was stuck. I uninstall Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 and I can do Window updates now, I just don't have a working Office program. I have even resigned myself to buying an upgraded version of Office but I'm afraid I may get the same error message when doing the new install.

UPDATE, just discovered that the window for system installer pops up when I try to use my Search function. That window is then followed by the window displaying the same error message "C:\Program Files\OfficeUpdate11\Cabs\511974\ can not be found............." as when I was trying to install Office 2002.

Edited by BrownBear, 09 May 2005 - 10:42 AM.