Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSoD Reboot Loop

• Please log in to reply

Artanis

Artanis

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi. I was working on something when suddenly my PC restarted by itself, and now it's stuck in a constant blue screen of death reboot loop. The Windows loading screen shows up as it normally would and loads for a few seconds. Everything until now seems normal, but then the BSoD suddenly flashes for half a second before restarting, so I don’t have enough time to see what it says.

I wasn't downloading any updates (I think) or doing anything such as moving/deleting files. Just working, so I’m completely stumped as to what to do.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Oh, don't know it it'll help any, but here's my setup:

Motherboard: ASUS P5VDC-X
CPU: Intel Pentium D LGA775 3.4 GHz
Video card: GeForce 7800
RAM: I...don't remember. I used Everest for this stuff, but unfortunately I need to get into windows in order to look at it. :)

Advertisements

MsMiz

MsMiz

• Pip
  • 7 posts
To see the stop codes and the actual BSoD, you'll want to change your computer settings to NOT restart automatically when it encounters a problem.

You'll find this in Control Panel > System > Advanced > Start up and Recovery Settings > uncheck the 'restart automatically' box

This will give you time to write down your stop codes and post them =)

Artanis

Artanis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I appreciate the help, but the thing is that I can't even get into windows. The BSoD screen flashes for half a second during the loading screen before restarting (safe mode doesn't work either). =(

I tried taking a picture of the BSoD, but it really is half a second.

Is there a BIOS setting that would prevent it from restarting?

Artanis

Artanis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Sorry for the double post.

The problem is solved. I set the main to slave HDD and installed windows on a secondary HDD, ran a scan disk which revealed several corrupted files, and was able to access the HDD after it corrected them. I set it back to master and voila!

JH2

JH2

• Pip
  • 1 posts
"I appreciate the help, but the thing is that I can't even get into windows. The BSoD screen flashes for half a second during the loading screen before restarting (safe mode doesn't work either). =( "

" I set the main to slave HDD and installed windows on a secondary HDD, ran a scan disk which revealed several corrupted files, and was able to access the HDD after it corrected them. I set it back to master and voila!"

I have the same (or seemingly the same) problem and there's a solution, but can someone please explain to me how to do that? :)

Artanis

Artanis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I have the same (or seemingly the same) problem and there's a solution, but can someone please explain to me how to do that? :)

I had a friend more knowledgeable than myself helping me out, so there's not much I can say. You have to remove a small piece in the back of your HDD called a jumper and place it correctly. Your HDD should have instructions labeled on it (but even then, my friend and I were still confused as to what to do. We just moved the jumper around until we got it to work).

And I unfortunately, HDDs have different settings, so I can't tell you where to place the jumper by looking at my HDD.

If no one else responds, try creating your own thread explaining the matter (obviously ^^; ). Good luck.

Edited by Artanis, 12 March 2009 - 10:21 PM.