Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformat Failed...now I get an error saying....

• Please log in to reply

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Not sure what happened...I have a custom built PC with XP Home Edition SP2. I did the Reformat early this morning, I figured I my as well go to bed since it was like 4am anyways, I wake to an error message that the partition was not able to complete or something like that and then it told me to press F3 to reboot which I did hoping I could repair whatever failed and not it goes to the Boot from CD page and says "Error loading operating system" and I can't do anything. My following post will include more info on what type of PC it is.

Any help would greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
EDIT - UPDATE: Well, I bought a Seagate Barracuda 1TB/TO 32 MB Cache. Installed and Formatted and Installed XP Home Edition with flying colors...I believe my Custom PC that I got from my Boss for Free (He planned on throwing it out) with me investing a lot of time with it and then investing overall $180 (Hard drive + DVD+/-R 20x excluding the router) and it now seems to be running better and faster than my DELL. Anyways, turned out my old Master Hard Drive Maxtor 80 GB was Bad and was the reason I was having issues installing XP. Problem Solved. Both of my PCs are running Great! :) Thanks again 123Runner for your Help :)

It's a custom built PC: Intel® Pentium® D CPU 3.40GHz 1.70GHz 2.93 GB (RAM)

I wonder if this is due to a bad hard drive or something or maybe it's time to start replacing parts.

I'm unable to get back to the set up page. The BIOSTAR page comes up then it goes right to the "Hardware Monitor" page which gives the hardware info and then says:

Verifying DMI Pool Data ............................ Update Success
Error loading operating system _

and I can't seem to get past this page...I think I'm really screwed. :)

Note: when I do restart the PC it has one beep then goes to BIOSTAR page then the Hardware Monitor ... Page.
Also note, I'm able to access the BIOSTAR set up page too by pressing delete on the BIOSTAR page. Other than that none of my F# keys work, nor the space bar, nothing. ???

Edited by countryboypride77, 07 March 2009 - 01:24 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
If it indicated a partition issue, then chances are the OS is "missing".

There are a couple things I can think of.
1. Redo the install by deleting the partition (if it finds one), and then reinstalling. I would do this when you are awake and not at 4am.
2. You can try running the drive manufacturers diagnostics (link in my signature).

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Thanks, I'm currently at work So, I'll try to do this later.

Would buying a new Hard drive work? I have the Windows Home Edition CD in my possession as well as my key. Before my boss gave up on this particular PC, he had taken it into some PC guy and I know for a fact that the mother board was brand new. My boss said everything inside the tower was replaced so it was a new PC however, I do have to becareful on what my boss says. He's a big time BSer (coincidently that's his initials too) :) It looked like the hard drive was the same original and might have been my problem from the very beginning. I checked out Newegg and browsed the hard drives. many different ones to chose from. Would buying a new hard drive and then installing the XP home edition version solve my issues?

Not exactly which kind of hard drive I should get but that question is probably best answered in the hardware forum. I'll continue researching...

EDIT: Oh...I am unable to get to the set up page... When the PC starts it goes to the BIOSTAR Page then to the Hardware Monitor page where it stays. The only other page I can access is the BIOSTAR setup page by pressing delete when the BIOSTAR page appears. That's it...I tried for hours to get myself back to the set up page so I could try to delete the partition and install XP again...

Edited by countryboypride77, 05 March 2009 - 03:57 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Is it an ide or sata drive?
What size are you looking for?
A 500gb is about $100 and coming down.
Search Newegg and tigerdirect. I use both. Sometimes there is a manufacturers warranty of 3-5 years.

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Model Brand Western Digital
Series Caviar SE16
Model WD5000AAKB
Performance Interface IDE Ultra ATA100
Capacity 500GB
RPM 7200 RPM
Cache 16MB
Average Seek Time 8.9ms
Average Write Time 10.9ms
Average Latency 4.2ms
Physical Spec Form Factor 3.5"

^^^---> This is the one I've been contemplating ordering. The one already on the PC is I believe a Samsung. It's definately IDE. I can get the above for $73 plus shipping would bring it to a grand total of $80 and some change.

By doing this, I shouldn't have any problems with installing my Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002, so I think.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Should not be a problem. I would partition it into a couple partitions. That way C is separate from the others. The others would be storage.
Theoretically if you need to reinstall later. all you would lose is C and no data.

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
okay this is really weird I get home turn the PC on for the heck of it, i pushed some keys well anyways I now have access to the XP So, I'm going to attempt to due the clean install correctly this time by using Essex's Tutorial... I'm kinda of nervous though not wanting to screw it So if anybody has any advice or help offerings I'd appreciate it.

UPDATE: FORMAT & XP INSTALL WAS SUCCESSFUL!!! Thanks for saving me $100 apparently my Hard Drive is still good and the Real Problem is ME! :) Anyways, Thanks a mil. I'm currently downloading the AV and other safe guards on the PC. Just wanted to leave an update and to Thank You :)

^^^ABOVE UPDATE IS VOID^^^ (I think I ginxed myself) well except for the Thank you part. I do greatly appreciate your help. However, I gave up. I went to BestBuy and purchased a Seagate Barracuda 1TB 32MB Cache 7200RPM. I'm installing it now and hopefully this will fix all my problems.

Turns out the hard drives were a Maxtor 80GB and also a Samsung 40GB both were ancient If either of the 2 are any good they'll be demoted to slaves haha. Anyways. I'm going to attempt to reinstall my Windows XP AGAIN and hopefully for the last time. I'll post another update if I truely am Successful :)

Edited by countryboypride77, 06 March 2009 - 02:23 PM.