So I will describe what happened.
1) My main computer is set up as Multibooting; with Win98 Realmode Dos on Drive 1 Primary 1
with Windows XP ProSP3 on Primary 2: with secondary XP ProSP3 on Primary 3
With Suse 11-1 on Drive 2
My main user system is XP Pro on Primary 2
I thought all was Hunky Dory OK, until AVG8 started reporting Win32/Gaelicium.A virus in many locations.
Looking on this web-site I noticed you no longer recommend AVG, so I uninstalled AVG8 and installed AVast. I also ticked the " Boot Scan" option
Next thing on reboot I had lost all USB printer connectivity & USB scanner connectivity.
I found I had a Drive Image xml backup done on 01/02/2009. Not wanting to reinstall everything, I restored that backup. It worked to my suprise, because I have had a restore not work, because the restore had the system drive not as C:\ I was prepared to correct this if necessary using Ultimate Boot Disk, but this was unnecessary.
Now I had my system with pretty well all my user software installed OK. So I uninstalled AVG8, and installed Avast, not checking the boot time scan this time. All appearred to work.
But noting that your web-site quotes Avira Antivir as having a good detection rate, I uninstalled AVG on the secondary XP ProSp3 system on Primary 3, and installed Avira Antivir in that system.
Then I got Avira Antivir to do a complete scan of all local drives, including this system on primary 2. It showed a heavy infestation of W32/Stanit Windows virus plus some HTML/Spoofing.Gen HTML script virus On scanning I set Antivir to quaranteen all viruses it found.
Now the question I want to ask is what if any further measures do the experts think I ought to take if any.