Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Infestation with "W32/Stanit Windows virus"

• Please log in to reply

Wilfos

Wilfos

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am not sure how to start.
So I will describe what happened.
1) My main computer is set up as Multibooting; with Win98 Realmode Dos on Drive 1 Primary 1
with Windows XP ProSP3 on Primary 2: with secondary XP ProSP3 on Primary 3
With Suse 11-1 on Drive 2
My main user system is XP Pro on Primary 2

I thought all was Hunky Dory OK, until AVG8 started reporting Win32/Gaelicium.A virus in many locations.
Looking on this web-site I noticed you no longer recommend AVG, so I uninstalled AVG8 and installed AVast. I also ticked the " Boot Scan" option
Next thing on reboot I had lost all USB printer connectivity & USB scanner connectivity.

I found I had a Drive Image xml backup done on 01/02/2009. Not wanting to reinstall everything, I restored that backup. It worked to my suprise, because I have had a restore not work, because the restore had the system drive not as C:\ I was prepared to correct this if necessary using Ultimate Boot Disk, but this was unnecessary.

Now I had my system with pretty well all my user software installed OK. So I uninstalled AVG8, and installed Avast, not checking the boot time scan this time. All appearred to work.

But noting that your web-site quotes Avira Antivir as having a good detection rate, I uninstalled AVG on the secondary XP ProSp3 system on Primary 3, and installed Avira Antivir in that system.
Then I got Avira Antivir to do a complete scan of all local drives, including this system on primary 2. It showed a heavy infestation of W32/Stanit Windows virus plus some HTML/Spoofing.Gen HTML script virus On scanning I set Antivir to quaranteen all viruses it found.

Now the question I want to ask is what if any further measures do the experts think I ought to take if any.

Advertisements