Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive questions...I'm buying a new hard drive

• Please log in to reply

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
EDIT: UPDATE 3: Installing and Formatting the Seagate Barracuda was a SUCCESS...easier than I anticipated. I also found out the old Maxtor 80 GB is Dead. However the old Samsung 40 GB is still good (I'll probably move the Samsung Hard Drive over to my Dell since the and I successfully Cleaned it out and Formatted it1 TB gives my custom PC plenty of space.) successfully. Now, that old PC is faster than my newer PC and I think it runs a whole lot better than my DELL too. :) Other than investing a whole lot of my time, I've invested about $180.00 and now practically got a new PC for $180...not bad. I'm glad my boss gave me that custom PC. :)

NEW EDIT: UPDATE2: I did end up buying a NEW HARD DRIVE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB/TO 32MB Cache 7200 RPM I guess I ginxed myself. Anyways, I've already installed the New Hard Drive and am in the Process of setting up XP Home Edition version 2002. I do know I'll be needing help to Format it after doing so since I've never done a Format of the hard drive before. I'll also be using my Maxtor 80GB as like a back up or whatnot so any assistance is Greatly and Always appreciated. Thanks :)

vvv VOID Lower UPDATE vvv (except for the "Thanks to 123Runner" I greatly appreciate all of his help. Thanks

EDIT--> UPDATE: Disregard. I've verified that my Hard Drive is OK using a hard drive utility for samsung. I won't be buying a new hard drive afterall. Thanks to 123Runner! :killcomp:

Short story first that led up to needing to buy a new hard drive...

...I attempted to reformat and reinstall my Windows XP Home Edition...foolishly I did this at 4am this morning. I deleted the partition and then went to bed...When I woke up, there was an error and the installation of XP failed. I,now, can only restart the PC. Restart PC, I hear one beep that lasts only like a second, then the BIOSTAR page comes up, then the Hardware Monitor page comes up, and that's it. It says the DMI.....updated successfully. then says Boot to cd: and finally says error reading operating system or something of that sort. The only other thing I can do other than using the alt + ctl + del to restart is to access the BIOSTAR set up page by pressing delete from the BIOSTAR page.

So, we get to my theory that the hard drive is screwed (probably my fault for being such an idiot) Reason I decided to do a Clean Install was because I got the PC from my Boss and I know that my co-worker used the web friviously if you know what I mean. Not only that but I didn't want to have any of my boss's information either.

Now I'm inquiring about getting the "Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKB 500GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM" --- cache is 16MB for $73 plus 8 bucks for shipping ($81 Total) My old Hard drive is I believe a Samsung and I know it's IDE.

Then I came across this one ---> Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM --- the cache is 32MB for just $7 more (total $80) so this second choice seems to offer me so much more for less. Oh and it's offering Free shipping too.

So, now I'm trying to figure out how hard would it be to convert my IDE connectors to a SATA?

My other question is regarding having to Format the drive...I've never formatted a hard drive before. Are you able to Format the hard drive when your computer is telling you you don't have windows installed?

I have other questions too that I can't seem to ask properly or am just too overwhelmed with all the research I've been doing. I just want to get all my ducks in a row per say before I order something that's going to be useless to me.

I do have another PC at my house that is a Dell running Vista Home Premium. So, if necessary I think I could format the new hard drive from that PC...maybe? I don't know. If I make sense please any help would be greatly appreciated. $80 is a lot of money too me so I really don't want to waste my money which I'm sure most of completely understand. Thank you again! :upset:

Edited by countryboypride77, 07 March 2009 - 01:15 PM.

Advertisements

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
UPDATE: well I ended up buying the Seagate Barracuda 1TB/TO 32 MB Cache, 7200 RPM at BestBuy after I confirmed my motherboard does have the SATA connector on the actual board.

I in the process of connecting it now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated This is my very first time doing so and am kinda afraid of screwing it up. I'm also sure I'll need some sort of guidance to format it too.