Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new build

• Please log in to reply

redcrypt

redcrypt

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi, Im thinking of building a new computer as mine is 5 years old and with all the new games out and coming out id like to get an update. My only problem is I havent kept up with the processors and picking out a mobo is always my hardest decision.
First off I am not a hardcore gamer. I play leisurely and right now play with most all settings on low just to avoid lag in crowded towns and such. I play mainly MMO's like L2, rappelz, runes of magic, little Age of Conan but need something able to play higher end games that are suppose to come out like starcraft2 and Diablo3. I want something that will last for a couple years but isnt too expensive.
What are the main advantages and disadvantages of a dual, triple and quad core? They are all priced about the same from skimming prices. What is best recommended for gaming and why? Tell me your choice and your reason why, I dont want to just be refered to customer feedback from a website the product is sold on.

Also with a motherboard what would you recommend for the CPU you suggest? Or if you just want to recomend a good board let me know. I usually go with ASUS or ABIT but Im open to anything.

My last question would be is there any reason to get dual video cards? I will probably buy a top end video card and do not see how 2 would effect the computer as a whole if everything else is capable of running any game.

Advertisements

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I would go with ASUS for ur motherboard Used them eith my last 3 builds and nvr had a prob with em

You can go with an inet core 2 duo or quad which one you want, i have a duo E8400 3.0 ghz
SInce ur not a heavvy game there is no need to go with 2 graphic cards.

http://secure.newegg...Number=14618047

this is what i would choose my self. If you want to go cheaper you can always switch that graphiccs card to a 9800 gtx or 8800 gtx.\

and change the mobo to this

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131295

I didnt choose a case since that is something you should choose ur self, just make sure its ATX

redcrypt

redcrypt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thanks but I was really looking for more information on processors not an entire build. Id really prefer an Intel but trying to figure out if I need a dual triple or quad. Ive heard alot of bad about the triple and its only AMD which i tried before and didnt like so much. Plus the triple and quad are basically the same price. If all I use it for is occasional gaming and casual use do I need a quad core? I also dont plan on overclocking it.
Also Ive seen dual core and core 2 duo. whats the difference? I looked it up and it said dual core is the first version and duo is the newer version and better. Is this correct?

Edited by redcrypt, 06 March 2009 - 12:54 AM.

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
im no expert, its basically what you plan to do, quad would be more future proof, or good if you do alot of graphic work and similar stuff. Right now most game dont utilize al 4 cores, so In alot of game the duo could do better.

Idk about the new i7's they could do better in games. IM not really sure, lets see what other s say about it.

I havnt really done much research on it, im just going by what i read and heard. I would stay away from 3 cores.