Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp pro sp1 boot problems (too long)

• Please log in to reply

chickmazta

chickmazta

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
My friends PC is experiencing some boot problems. It takes about 3-5 minutes to boot to windows. After POST, its stuck in blue screen saying loading windows this is for about 3-5 mins then starts windows normally. And also I noticed that everything is seem to be in slow motion. The mouse pointer is ok cause I can move it around the screen but when I click a file or open a folder it takes some time. When I ran some programs its also the same. I've heard that some of this instances are caused by a virus or a malware. So I ran different kinds of antivirus and malware programs. It did find some and removed them successfully.

This points me to a hardware failure. I'm guessing that the hard disk is about to fail so I downloaded some utilities for the disk (its maxtor by the way). It passed the test. I tried using a different power supply but its still the same. I've run memtest many times on the memory (256mb ddr2 533) and no errors were found. I'm a little bit confused now. Is there any possibility that the virus I successfully removed, caused some major damage to the operating system? causing it to perform very slow?

I didn't know were to post this problem considering that the pc was previously infected with virus. Please forgive me for doing this.

This is my final option. Upgrade xp pro sp1 to sp2, is this safe? We don't have any available xp pro sp1 cd so we decide to purchase xp pro sp2. There's one little question I wanted to ask, Can I use xp pro sp2 recovery console to fixmbr on the xp pro sp1 installed? hope someone could help me out. TNX in advance!!!

Advertisements

Burrell Jacques

Burrell Jacques

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i don't know if the recovery console from sp2 will work in sp1 (probably works), but running sp1 these days with so many worms, you are inviting them for a party on your computer

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi chickmazta...

Let's check the transfer modes...it sounds like your machine is running in Programmed Input/Output (PIO) which would cause your machine to run very slowly as you describe.

Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab and then the "Device Manager" button. Expand (click +) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Right click on the Primary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

Right click on the Secondary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

wannabe1

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Hello guys! Tnx for the reply, I have already resolved the issue. I upgraded XP PRO SP1 to XP PRO SP2, and it did the trick. I was worried because we didn't have the original cd fo the installed SP1 and we tried to check stores for the availability of the product and there was none. And also there is a particular program installed in this PC that was created by a friend. It cannot be copied nor be transferred to a different machine (the "friend" was nowhere to be found as of now). These program is ultimately important to the owner we could save and backup the files, but its useless without the program. I mean It'll never work.

Now I am convinced that ther's no faulty hardware installed. The virus the was recently removed may have cause this mayhem. It might have damaged the operating system to a point that it cannot function well. I hope this can help other people with the same problem. Tnx again fellas! peace!

PS this is the virus that was removed
startupfolder.exe
config_.exe

and also...we didn't try to use sp2 recovery console to fix sp1 master boot record