Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

usb ports (sockets) hp ze2000 laptop

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
could anyone tell me where to purchase the usb sockets or ports on an hp ze2000 laptop, there are two of them. i have searched online and cannot seem to locate them

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic – USB Ports for - hp ze2000 laptop
March 6 2009

Chris – Researched your query on USB Ports - Was not able to find the Exact Spec Sheet on your Laptop –

However by reading - your previous posts on this Topic – I can supply you with some links – that may be useful to you – plus following ideas -

1st -
Look at – [Device Manager] – to see if USB Ports are Active & Supported on your Laptop

You can also look in [System Summary] – of your Laptop

2nd -
You need to know what Service Pack is installed – This determines what USB Spec you have
Probably only have USB 1.0 – OS is WIN-98 -

By going thru HP – you probably can only obtain – Restored / Repaired Mother Board – As far as the Ports themselves - - I have gotten them from – Local Electronic Stores/Supply Shops

Some of the Major Catalogs like – NEWARK – will have them – [Series A Receptacle/Socket/Female] – is what you need – Not sure if it will be the – Mini Series – May be too early of a model for the Mini?? I do not have the exact P/N that I use – at this exact time -

How badly damaged are the ports??? What happened?? I think the replacing the MB would probably be easier than trying to replace the USB Ports?? You probably only have 1 USB Chip – Device Manager will tell you if this Chip is functional –

***If possible – You may be able to use an – Short - USB Extension Cable – That is if the Ports are not smashed too badly that you cannot connect a cable to them???

Another Option – Do you have a PCIMI ??Card SLOT - Maybe purchase USB Card??

It would be very difficult to give you a – [detailed step by step] – Replacement & Test / Setup Procedure – using the FORUM Format –

Go thru your BIOS Setup – to see if your USB is set up & functional – If you are able to complete these tasks that I am suggesting -

then I may be able to help you – more

Here are some useful HP Links -

HP Support -

This should be enough to get started – You could also go to a local PC Repair Shop & ask the Tech if he/she has any Connectors in stock that you can purchase /or that they could replace for you??
Almost any small Strip Mall has a TV/PC/Electronic Repair Shop – Not so much as 10 years ago – but they still exist - - Look in Yellow Pages --- Or Google --- USB Connectors

is an excellent USB Knowledge Base Link ---

Good Luck

Edited by Jack123, 06 March 2009 - 01:43 PM.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Ports are ruined, my dad is an electronic technician, 30yrs experience, but his specialty is tv/radio, we have the unit disassembled, both ports are ruined broken pins, etc, came from me unplugging and plugging in phone as modem on the road, hp wants to sell me full motherboard at 200+ dollars, i have heard of people cutting usb extenstions and soldering in female part of the extension, could get challenging, but dad is good with the solder, i wish i could find the exact ports, i will keep looking, thanks so much,

btw, tried the pci card with two usb's, card acts erratic and my devices act funny, mouse works intermittently, my mp3 player flashes on and off like the power is not getting to it right, finally the ports fail, have had two with the same fate, if i coud find a brand that would hold it would be great.