Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

8gb Ram

• Please log in to reply

srobison

srobison

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Hey guys I am having a little trouble since my newest upgrades. I got a gtx 285 video card that I am running in Sli with my old 8800 gt. I have the 8800 running all my physx calculations. It has been running awesome since my upgrade with two sticks of 2gb ram in my dimm 1&2 slots. However I decided to upgrade my Ram with two more 2 gb sticks and when I put them in there my computer wouldn't boot. Then I pulled a stick and tried again and it booted fine ran some games and everything, then I switch the sticks out and everything ran great, but when I put the 4th stick back in it wouldn't run. Any ideas on what could cause this?
thanks,
Sammy

Advertisements

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
my guess would be is that one of the ram is not working

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
32-bit, or 64-bit system?

srobison

srobison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
64 bit, and I have tried both ram in the 3rd slot and they run fine as long as they are alone.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello srobison...

It sounds like your RAM voltage is set too low. What kind of RAM did you install? What motherboard?

wannabe1

srobison

srobison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I have two sticks of 2gb DDR@-1066 pc2-8500 that have been working fine, the new ram is two sticks of 2gb DDR2800 pc2-6400
I am running this on a MSI p6n SLI platinum motherboard, with an nforce 650i sli chipset

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Aside from slowing you down to the lower 800MHz speed, running mismatched RAM can have adverse effects on stability.

What brands of RAM are you using? I'd like to look at the specs to see what voltage levels the modules require to run efficiently...then we'll have a look at what voltages they are actually being provided by your system.

Many 4GB RAM sets require between 2.0 and 2.2 volts for proper performance...while the default setting on most motherboards is 1.8 volts.

srobison

srobison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
They are both G-Skill the stick that I dont have plugged in right now says 1.8-1.9v

srobison

srobison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Still not working, any ideas?

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
I seem to recall that there were issues with the 6xxi chipsets. I'd check to see if there's a BIOS update available that affects the memory. BIOS updates are dangerous, so please post back for detailed instructions if this is the case.

Have you checked the 4th slot (by leaving the 3rd slot empty) to see if it'll work there. It could be a bad slot.

Advertisements

srobison

srobison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
yea i have switched the third and fourth and it worked fine.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you tried bumping up the RAM voltage in BIOS Setup? I had to bump it to 2.2v to run 8GB of Corsair on an ASUS M3N-HT.

srobison

srobison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I just boosted my ram to 2.2 and it froze on the first boot, but I just booted again and so far its running fine. I will keep you posted.

srobison

srobison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Right after i posted this message my comp froze, I just boosted to 2.3

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Still running ok?