Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

path not found, no permission granted--- after cleaning up malware

• Please log in to reply

RM59

RM59

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi, I have 3 computers and a printer networked at home, the guys at the malware forum just helped me clean them from hijack.shell and work.exe. The problem is that it took all my network connections, I see but can not access any of my home computers or printer.

when I select the show the computers on the workgroup, they all display but when I click to open any one of them, from any of the computers, windows tells me that the path can not be found, that I do not have permission to access that computer.

I do not use windows accounts, all computers are set with different names and as administrators. All have the same workgroup name and each has a different IP address, assigned automatically. The all have the same default gateway. I checked and all the network services are on. I re-started all computers hoping that windows will adjust itself but didn't, I even run the wizard for setting a home network to no success.

I do not know what am I missing or doing wrong. Can you please help me?

when I was cleaning the malware Windows kept reporting recovery from a serius error: error signature
BCCode : 1000000a BCP1 : B5F28000 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000001
BCP4 : 804FEDF1 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

Thank you

Robinson Mosquera

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Robinson,

My very first recommendation would be to check your firewall settings -- I'm assuming that after being cleaned up, you either installed a new firewall, or updated an existing firewall? If this is the case, ensure that you have the appropriate permissions setup to allow the other computers on your network to access your machine(s). You may wish to temporarily disable any third-party firewalls to rule out software interference.

If you believe that firewalls are not an issue here, I'm going to post a few steps for you to do; please perform these steps on two (2) of your machines -- label each log accordingly.

Step 1 - File Sharing Troubleshooting:
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, please type the following commands (*Note: the single '>' and double '>>' are intentional; please type the commands exactly as they appear):
    • ipconfig /all > C:\results.txt
    • net view >> C:\results.txt
    • net share >> C:\results.txt
    • nbtstat -n >> C:\results.txt
  • Once the above commands have completed, navigate to your C: drive and open the text file results.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
Thanks,
- Dan

RM59

RM59

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi Dan, you guys make it sound so easy!

As you suggested, when i disabled the firewall programs (CA and AVG) all the machines and printers could be seen and accesed from all places. :)

I enable the firewall protection again and hit every default boton to the original, but the message came up again. I do not have the permission to use that network resource. Talk to the administrator (me!!). I look allover but have no idea how or where to grant those permisssions. Should I still run the instructions you gave me?

Thanks a lot

Robinson

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Robinson,

I'm not familiar with "CA" -- can you please post the full name of the program? I wouldn't imagine AVG would be causing an issue; it's more likely CA.

However, in the options, is there any "Network Zones", "Network Trusts", "Network Permissions", etc.? There should be some setting in the firewall which will allow you to "Add" users/computers to your trusted zone.

Many firewalls have a Protection Level -- you could attempt to lower this to "medium" (or possibly slightly lower) and seeing if this allows you to connect.

I may need to ask some of our other techs to see if they have any familiarity with this firewall, as they will be able to provide you with more accurate steps.

Should I still run the instructions you gave me?

No thanks; I think we can safely assume this is a firewall issue.

- Dan

RM59

RM59

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Dan, we are almost there.

I lowered the settings in the safe zone of the CA (Computer Associates Personal Firewall) and it gave me total access, both ways to two computers, they both have CA software.

The third one which has AVG can not be accessed by the other two, but it can access them. I have access only one way.

The error message from the computers that can not access the third one says, you might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact your administrator. Log on failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer. And it points me to the start folder

Thank you

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Does the machine you can't connect to have Windows XP installed? If so, please do the following.

Step 1 - Configure your Network Policies:
Please download and install Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools (it is compatible for Windows XP and 2003). Once it is installed, please do the following:
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, type these commands:
    • net user guest /active:yes
    • ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
    • ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Everyone
    • ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
    • ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Everyone
  • Try to access the folders now; can you? If not, restart your machine(s) and try again.
    *Note: If you find it difficult to see the exact spacing, try copy/pasting the commands into Notepad, as this may make it easier.
[EDIT]When you lowered the security rating on your firewall, does it say what "safety features" it offers in that setting? Please post these if it does.

- Dan

Edited by Dan, 08 March 2009 - 10:02 PM.

RM59

RM59

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Dan, over the weekend I noticed that something is going on that is not right. Half an hour after I lowered the settings in the safe zone and everything was connecting (except accessing the third computer from the others) as i told you, I did basic maintenence (backed up the registry, cleaned up chache and created a restore point), then afterward every thing went back to not seeing each other.

I reviewed things and the changes to the settings still were there, I re-started all computers several times, waited but nothing, the network was not working. The next morning without me doing anything the computers saw each other (except accessing the third computer from the others again), and under the explore menu in the my network places/entire network, microsoft windows network there were two workgroups: my regular one and another called workgroup.

Today without me changing anything the second workgroup icon is gone. I did not think until just, there is a friend staying with us who temporarely plugs into our network to surf the internet, but does not access our computers or printer.

should I still follow your last instructions?

RM59

RM59

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Dan, my computers all have XP and my friend's has vista.

Sorry I overlooked something that might be key, I did not register in my mind

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Your friend connecting and disconnecting from your network may be the cause of your network issues; or it might be software interference. An easy way to find out would be to have them connect to your network and see if the issue occurs again.

You are more than welcome to run those steps still; however those steps will allow everyone (within your network) to see any files/folders that you share (including your friend, if he is in your workgroup). It depends on whether you want to wait until he leaves or not.

If you configure your firewall correctly, it's a simple matter to block unwanted access.

RM59

RM59

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi Dan, sorry for the silence, I have been under the weather!

I am going to run the instructions you gave me and wait for my friend to leave, so i'll be able to set up the network normal as it should be and then set anybody new as a guest in the future. I never delt with this before but most likely it will happen again, so we'll be ready

Thanks Dan

Robinson

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Thanks for the update, Robinson -- I hope you start feeling better soon. :)

RM59

RM59

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi Dan, I am not sure what the procedure is to pick up where we left, since i could not find this topic in my topic list, perhaps too old? (My frined just left, which is what stopped us from moving forward).

Any how, perhaps the best thing would be to start the network from scratch, renaming the workgroup and setting everything how we need it at home, then, creating a "guest account" so when other computer is connected to the network, we could limit access to and block software conflicts with our system. Can this be done? where could I find some base guidance?

I have 4 XP computers, a printer, voip phone and a scanner. One of the computers acts as a "server " in the workgroup.

Thanks dan, I appreciate your help

Robinson

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
That's a little more complex, but not impossible. I'd suggest that you read the MS Article How to configure file sharing in Windows XP, as this covers some of the basics in regards to setting up permissions. Just let me know if you have any questions, will be happy to help out.

RM59

RM59

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Dan, I maybe complicating it more than ought to with the selective file sharing, but before jumping into that:

I followed your previous instructions and did apply the "code" you gave me to the troubled computer. I renamed the workgroup in all computers, disconnected all network drives and re-start all computers. They come back ok and see each other, I mapped all network drives again, all is working fine until I get moving around on the troubled computer and now it does not see or connect to the rest of the network.

I disabled the fire wall on that computer (avg), then the compuetr is back to the network and can be accessed through the mapped network drives but NOT through my network places-microsoft windows network on the windows explore folder's bar link, from the other computers (no big deal, but it may point you to a problem source). Interestingly from the troubled computer I can access everybody from both the mapped drives and the microsoft windows network link.

I just turn the firewall back on the troubled computer, avg tells me that the search-shield component is not working BUT the network is working and operating as described before.

So, as of now the network works (with those limitations) and the firewall has the search-shield component disabled. Should we try to address those issues? is the search-shield component critical?

Thanks Dan, I'll be watching the network behavior while I wait to hear from you.

Robinson

RM59

RM59

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi Dan, I have good news to report.

I went into avg and modify some of the settings that seemed questionable to me, not sure what some of them were, but for the last 2 days the network has been stable and it doesn't seem to be affecting anything we need.

You guys are top notch and free, how can you beat it? you guys are really contributing to make computing doable for the average Robinson! I thank you very much for your help

Robinson