Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell E521 Maxium upgrade

• Please log in to reply

OSnapple

OSnapple

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hey guys,

I have a Dell E521 with an AMD 64 5600 Processor, 3.5gb DDR2 240 pin, Origional Mobo PS etc...

i was thinking about upgrading to DDR3 but i cant find anything about upgrading to the max

i would love to go quad core but i know my Mobo mBTX wont hold it, and i cant find anywhere to get a upgraded mBTX

Any sugestions to get this computer maxed out would be great

I am have this system dedicated to Running an Audio recording and editing rig for ProTools 7.3 LE

Also, if any one knows how to reduce the Electricity noise that is transfered throguh to the speakers that would be amazing also.

Thanks guys

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The Dell E521 only takes DDR2, not DDR3 and it has a maximum memory capacity of 4Gb.

If you're running a 32-bit operating system and you now have 3.5Gb, you won't see the extra 512Mb as the OS will cap out at 3.2-3.5Gb anyway if it hasn't already, so it's a pointless investment.

OSnapple

OSnapple

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
ok, any sugestions on how to upgrade it ?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There isn't really a lot more you can upgrade. The 5600 is probably upgradable to a 6400 but it's probably not worth it on its own, and the memory I've already explained.
Short of possibly putting a bigger hard drive in it, there's not really room for anything else.

OSnapple

OSnapple

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Well that sucks LOL cause i already have 1.5 TB in it and about 3 more TB networked into it

O well, Thanks, if anyone else has input id be happy to hear it