Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer randomly shuts down during fresh install os O.S.

• Please log in to reply

boacnstrctr

boacnstrctr

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a Hp nc6000 business laptop that was working with no problems whatsoever. I decided to upgrade the hard drive with a WD2500BEVERTL Western digital 250gb EIDE. The computer would not boot from the OS disc, so I put in the old hard drive and continued with the fresh install. Things went fine up to the point where it was formatting the drive and it shut down. Now it shuts down at random times and I cannot reinstall.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the largest your system will support is a 80-GB (5400 rpm) SMART drive...
remove the drive and slave it to working system...once there format the drive...
you should also test the drive to make sure its not dying before putting it back in the laptop and trying to install xp again...
if you do have to replace the drive I recommend getting exactly what was in there to start with...
check out the chart...

boacnstrctr

boacnstrctr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'll do that tomorrow morning, I'll pull my hair out if I don't take a break. I thought for sure it would handle a larger drive... It is a bit odd that it started shutting down with the original HD during the fresh install, hmmm. I'll let you know what happens-

Grazie!!!