Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lot of dinero for backing up

• Please log in to reply

gr8joel

gr8joel

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
you can probably go to your local pc shop around the corner to get a cheap backing up, this was just an advice post. nothing more . lol

Edited by gr8joel, 07 March 2009 - 05:18 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Please edit your post before Sari sees it! She'll go nuts!

But to answer your question (the one without the question mark), yes that does sound on the expensive side. You could probably go around the corner to a local PC shop and get it done for much less.

Troy

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts

I just wish I had a English teacher like Sari. I might do better at spelling and grammar if I did.

On a on topic note. $90 for backing up 9GB of data is actually rather inexpensive. Especially if the drive can not be accessed though conventional means.

gr8joel

gr8joel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
tuxmaster how can you even say that. im talking about a computer that can be backd up by conventional means. you can go to best buy or other places and get a 30 dvd set for 30 dollers. each dvd holds 4.7 gigs, so if you were to do calculations its about 2-5 dollers to back up 9 gigs, so tell me now how is this relatively inexpensive? im so curious

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
gr8joel,

You calculations are a bit off you are not taking into account building costs,license costs,labor costs,utility costs,lawyer costs. It is a lot of risk to backup data that is why most computer manufactures do not support it.

It takes time true it costs $2-5 to for the media but each disk takes about 10-30 minutes to burn. A average charge for hourly rate is $35-45 a hr. You need at least 3 DVD's for 9GB that is at least 1.5 hours at a rate of 35 a hour. There is also cost of other items that are not even in those calculations. At minimum the cost to the business would be $20 for a decent place. And that is just parts and labor that does not include the other costs built into running a business. I would agree $90 may be a bit high but at minimum I would expect to pay $50 for 9GB.

The reason why it is such a rip off to you is because you can do it for the 4-5 bucks or less each time you back up.

Edited by tuxmaster, 07 March 2009 - 05:40 PM.

gr8joel

gr8joel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
Hey Tuxmaster I just wanted to apologize for the rudeness above. Honestly You know ill be honest with you, I just don't have alot of compassion for people who screw over other people. But hey thats business right. Yea anyways I didnt mean to talk like that though. You guys have been great to me and Just wanted to apalogize. There was no reason for it. :)

extra note: I backed up my data and yes it took about 20 mins each disk, and it was much cheaper for me to do it myself. I would recomend for others who want to back up their own data by buying an external harddrive. Cant really elaborate much on it at this time, but anyways Im looking to buy 1TB for under 150 dollars. of course I have to look further into this because there is also the ratings that each external drive gets...bla bla bla. Ok im done lol :)

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

Hi

Troy was making a joke with that, you didn't really need to edit your post :) sari is known as the "Grammar Department Administrator" aka spelling and grammar goddess.

I agree with you that the cost is high, and I would do it myself every time. Part of the reason I help out on the free forums is so people that can't afford to go to shops have a place to come for help.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts

Hey Tuxmaster I just wanted to apologize for the rudeness above. Honestly You know ill be honest with you, I just don't have alot of compassion for people who screw over other people. But hey thats business right. Yea anyways I didnt mean to talk like that though. You guys have been great to me and Just wanted to apalogize. There was no reason for it. :)

No harm done. I was just having a conversation. I am probably just as opinionated on the other end having attempted to start a small business. I heard from people all the time complaining about how expensive things were and I was doing hosting for $5. Hosting is one area where the profit margin is so slim people can barely start up in the business not to mention the competition. That slim margin is killing a lot of companies in these hard economic times. I am personally glad at the moment that computer services are the price they are. It does two things. Give room for competition and Small Businesses. As someone said a local computer shop may be able to undercut the $90 price tag due to the smaller administrative overhead. A second byproduct of that it motivates people to learn how to do it themselves.

My argument has one problem though that is if the company that is running the said backup service the cost of business should go down due to it can be made up in volume. However I would not expect to pay less then $50.

True if you can do it yourself it is much cheaper and more efficient to do it yourself. I personally do all mine myself. However if you don't know how to do it yourself you have two options, Learn how (That is what we are here for to educate and help those wanting to do it themselves at the small cost of patience.) Or pay the premium of having someone do it for you. I personally recommend learning how due to you will save money in the long run. However there are those people who fall in the "I don't want to learn" and the "I need it done now" for those they should expect to pay the $50-100 price tag. Due to that is where supply and demand has set the price.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Ok, so we got the cost down and all but,

What is the best way to back up your stuff? Excluding costs.

For example, an external hard drive could die too. so no good. A fire would ruin the cds you put everything on, it would kill the external hard drive and your computer, so no good.

I guess if you had a web site of some sorts that kept all your information, they could have a fire too. So no good, maybe the web site can have a web site that backs up their web site. :)

See what I'm getting at? Whats the most "It is impossible for me to ever lose this data" way?

I would imagine that to some people or some companies especially, there is information that is that valuable. What do they do? I'm sure its not just sitting on paper in their filing cabinet by their desk, ya know?

Just wondering, thought it might be good for some debate or brain storming. :)

Best I can come up with is actual cd's or on a hard drive(copied and replaced yearly) in a safety deposit box of some sort. ????

gr8joel

gr8joel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
or we could have multiple back ups on external hard drives hidden all around the globe. :)

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
:)

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
The best way I have found to do this is to invest about $214 (USD) on a 160 GIG External USB 2.0 Seagate Drive for my backups on oddessy. On my server (Debian Elive), I have a 320 GIG USB 2.0 WD Mybook for backing up files. This way, if I need something dropped to DVD, I can get it in seconds, and I have all my stuff on my external and my main drives too, in case of hardware failure. I was lucky that my last machine had a good drive after I lost the motherboard, so I was able to transfer the drives to my backup windows XP Pro Machine - so I didn't lose much.

I agree that having somone else backup your data can be expensive, so I always try to be proactive with regard to data backup :)

Brian

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Options for home computer data backup - That's a whole series that a few of us wrote for the home page. That's article #1 - there are links to the other 4 at the bottom of that article. I think it's well worth reading.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
That explained a lot. Thanks Sari

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
In making sure nothing goes wrong in the computer industry there is this idea of redundancy N+1 (Necessary plus 1). Now this is only for people who are paranoid of loosing there data. It is considered necessary to have at least one backup of your data. Plus one that would be a backup of backup this ideally would be stored offsite (online web/Safe Deposit box etc...). In the case of the unfortunate.

But you have to know where to draw the line in redundancy due to you can go overboard.

I would say the dream backup plan is 6 daily, 4 weekly 1 monthly 1 yearly rotated. That is a lot of redundancy.

The way I do things at home is I never store data on the actual system. Everything is stored on the server. It makes backup easier. Then I backup the server periodically.