Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Programs for merging partitions

• Please log in to reply

teatime

teatime

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi! My mum had a guy reformatted my computer while I was at school. It's a Windows XP. I noticed that he partitioned my hard drive into a C and D drive. Is there a program that can merge them without losing any files? I don't want to call the guy to reformat my computer AGAIN. :)

I've done some googling and the main program names I've been seeing are Partition Magic and Acronis Disk Director. Another topic about merging partitions has mentioned the program GParted. All of these programs seem to have some complaints about them. Sooo... Which one is the best? (As in, which one has the least chance of something going terribly wrong and screwing up my computer?)

People also said things like "Partition Magic won't work on servers" or something like that. So my "partition" might not be a REAL split... of the hard...drive? WHAT?? I don't know this mumbo jumbo! :) Are their certain specifications that I need to check before running any programs to merge the two drives? Right now I'm too scared to try anything, though I did make a restore point in system restore....

I'm such a noob. :c

Thanks for any help in advance!

Edited by teatime, 06 March 2009 - 10:31 PM.

Advertisements

teatime

teatime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hello, I no longer need the answer for this because I just reformatted my windows again. But if anyone does have anything to add, go ahead. =)