Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer hanging

• Please log in to reply

orcus332

orcus332

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all, this is my first post here, and i'm in need of some help. My computer has been freezing/hanging for at least 4 months now. I don't see a real pattern, other than it seems to occur more when gaming (probably because I am usually gaming). The hanging occurs about 1 time per day on average, but recently it's been as much as every time I try to game. I've run memtest and prime 95 w/o errors overnight. I have the most up to date graphics drivers, motherboard bios, chipset. Here is my setup:

Vista 64
E8400 core 2 duo
4gb corsair 800 memory
500gb seagate HDD
HD4850 MSI graphics card

Initially I thought the graphics card was the culprit, so I bout a different graphics card, but I still get the freezing issues. I'm extremely new to debuging and crash dumps, but I think the problem has something to do with dxgkrnl.sys. I've attached the minidump file from C:\windows\minidump

The temps of my processor/case never get about 60, and are at 42 idle. The HD4850 is notorious for overheating (but they say it still works fine) so my idle temps are around 70C and when gaming can be 103C. I feel like this is not a hardware problem, but some sort of software issue/conflict. Any guidance? Thanks in advance. :)

Attached Files

Advertisements