Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing a mouse that isn't Vista capable

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I have never used that procedure before, so can't really say whether it's safe or not. I may set up a test box later and try it, but at this point, I can't honestly recommend it.

Go back to Device Manager and expand "Mice and other pointing devices". What do you see when this is expanded?

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts

PnP software device enumerator is disabled.

Hum that can't be good. I could see that causing a issue installing any device.

Lets run SFC /scannow to check and see if it can fix that issue.

1. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow

bigdrill

bigdrill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hey Wannabe,

Sorry I haven't been responding to your question. It has gotten pretty busy over here. When I expand Mouse and Other Pointing Devices in the device manager it shows the Dell Touchpad and USB browser mouse. It didn't used to show the mouse though. I downloaded a driver from Microsoft but it didn't work. I've been searching for a generic driver that might cover it, but the computer won't let me install them because they are not valid Win32 programs. I am well and truly stumped, especially because other Vista machines will use all the mice I've tried with no problems. I am running the scan right now as I type this message.

Cliff

bigdrill

bigdrill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hey Wannabe,

Here's the screen shot of the scan. As soon as I figure out how to find the actual report then I will send that too you.

Attached Thumbnails

• screen_shot.jpg

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Try navigating to that exact address listed there and see if the .log file is there. You should be able to open it as a text file.

Did the mouse work after the System File Checker ran?

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Due to PnP software device enumerator is disabled. All hardware that you attempt to install will fail. Did you run the SFC /scannow?

bigdrill

bigdrill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yes, I ran the scan. The mouse still does not work though. I found the report easy enough, but when I try to attach it to this or I copy and pace it won't load. I think it's too big.

bigdrill

bigdrill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hey, remember earlier when I said something about the .inf file? Well, maybe that's it. The message that popped up stated that the .inf file might be written for Windows 95 or later. I don't know a whole [bleep] of a lot about it, but I know that .inf files have to do with the installation of devices. If there is a missing entry in my .inf file, how do I fix it? How do I find the .inf file anyways? Is it in the drivers folder? The computer refuses to even recognize that the mouse is even plugged in, it calls it an unknown device, but everything else installs and works just fine.

bigdrill

bigdrill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
It's fixed!! Just to let you know what I did. I went to this website after I asked you about the .inf files, http://teknobabble.w...der-a-solution/, and I did what he said. I really don't know if it was this or a combination of what I did. After I followed his instructions I went into the device manager and deleted the existing driver and rebooted the computer. I left the mouse plugged in while I did this. The thing is that I have done that several times before. I think the key was the .inf file. Oh, well. Anyways thanks for all your help. I learned a few things, including the sfc/ scannow procedure. Have a good day.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Thank you for keeping us updated on how you fixed the issue it helps others with there issues. I am glad you have your issue resolved.

Advertisements