Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC will not post after unsuccessful overclock

• Please log in to reply

WilliamLeedham

WilliamLeedham

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have run into a problem after attempting to over clock my. I am reasonably computer literate, but am at a complete loss in this situation, and am in great need of any advice I may be able to get from this forum. My hardware, as best as I can recall, consists of the following:
· The motherboard is a MS-6570 running a phoenix award bios
· The cpu is an AMD Athlon which was originally running at 1.8 MHz. I’m sorry I cant be more specific here
· There are 2 sticks of 1 GB DDR (there is a serial number PC3200U-30331-Z if this is at all useful)
· The graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce, but that is as much as I know. I could dig out the manual if the specifics are needed.

I was attempting to increase the processor speed, 1.8 being pretty low now, and not wanting to get a new cpu due to being unsure as to exactly what it was I needed. I was also keen to learn a bit more about how computers operate and wanted to give overclocking a go, even if there wasn’t that much of a change in the overall performance of my computer.

The CPU FSB Clock in advanced chipset features was originally at 166. I began increasing this in steps of 4, wanting to be cautious, restarting the computer and letting it boot to windows each time, as well as keeping an eye on the cpu and system temperature in the Bios as I went along. The temperature of the CPU didn’t go above 45C. I had only done a few steps, up to 180ish when the computer would not restart. The fans turn on but there is no signal to the screen. I have attempted to reset the bios using instructions on this site, using the clear cmos jumper and removing the battery for 5 minuets, neither of which had any effect. I wondered whether my graphics card could have been damaged.

Any advice would be brilliant,

Will

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Take the battery out, unplug the power from the computer and leave it out all night, also leaving the jumper in place overnight.
Some boards you may need to power them off and on a few times before they get the hint of "this isn't working, let's go to default".

Edited by Neil Jones, 07 March 2009 - 02:44 PM.

WilliamLeedham

WilliamLeedham

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for replying Neil, ill take the battery out now and let you know if i had any luck tomoro

Will