Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WindowsXP freeze once booted. Wont load from CD

• Please log in to reply

hardvinyljunkie

hardvinyljunkie

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi Guys

Got a HP Pavilion dv2000 laptop thats sick.

It boots up loading the desk top however it goes no further allowing no use of any keys, if you hover over the task bar you get the hourglass, only thing i can do to reboot is to hold the power key, ctrl/alt/del dont work.
I have tried booting from cd however it goes no further than loading kernels etc and gives a message of missing files and corrupt files, so if I must re-install XP it wont allow it from disc?
I have just managed to get it to start in safe mode however it wont allow me to use system restore, I can choose restore points but I click next and it goes no further?
Not sure if i can use any software while in safe mode to try repair, or can you suggest a way to re-install XP, not much on here I will lose.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Martin

Edited by hardvinyljunkie, 07 March 2009 - 08:06 AM.

Advertisements

hardvinyljunkie

hardvinyljunkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Just to keep you upto date I have just tried using rc.iso (recovery console), this loads files until I get the BSOD (blue screen of death) with a STOP: message showing pci.sys as cause, done this twice.

Martin

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try plugging in a usb keyboard...boot up....tell us what you get...

complete info on the problem here

HP has identified a hardware issue with certain HP Pavilion dv2000/dv6000/dv9000 and Compaq Presario V3000/V6000 series notebook PCs, and has also released a new BIOS for these notebook PCs, version F.39 for dv2000/V3000, and version F.3D for dv6000/dv9000/V6000.
NOTE: If you are a customer in Canada with an HP Notebook model DV2412CA or DV2404CA, do not update the notebook to BIOS version F.39.

Edited by happyrock, 07 March 2009 - 10:37 AM.

hardvinyljunkie

hardvinyljunkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Dont have access to a USB keyboard :) .
Have checked the full notes you posted regarding the faulty Bios in the laptop however it shows that this model/serial is not concerned.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Re-seat RAM. If you have more, than one RAM stick, start the computer with one stick at a time.

hardvinyljunkie

hardvinyljunkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi Guys

Tried reseating RAM and it just gives various results bit like it was prior to it getting sick. It has 2 512mb sticks of RAM so I tried 1 and it started and allowed me to use it to some normality, re-started without switching RAM and it was as previous, frozen with nothing about to be used, tried 2 more times to confirm this stick gave different results, same with 2nd stick, it didnt work alone just froze up, then when i stuck 2 sticks in again it has started and allows me to use it as normal i think, not tried connecting it to modem yet.
I think I tried the RAM sticks solo in both sockets and vise versa.
I would say it has worked now 4-5 times out of 40 re-starts like it is now.
At moment it will allow me to access all files and run stuff, anything I should do while I got the chance?
Really think my friend who has owned this from new 13 months ago has filled it with so much crap and spyware/AV. He says problem started when he removed Norton.

I await your instruction, and Thanks.

Martin

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
are both sticks of ram from the same manufacture...what make and model...

because it does sometimes boot...you might want to reinstall your chipset drivers...
go here and get the norton removal tool and run it...
BEFORE you do that ...backup everything you can't live without...then run the tool..

then Please go to the malware forum Start HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then start a new topic in the MALWARE FORUM forum here...

Edited by happyrock, 09 March 2009 - 04:48 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Edited: I didn't read happyrock's reply carefully enough.

Edited by Broni, 09 March 2009 - 08:49 PM.

hardvinyljunkie

hardvinyljunkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Fixed!
Finally found the recovery discs I made when purchased and this has restored it to factory setttings.

Thanks for all your good advice.

:)

Martin