Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Share 1 Outlook Email account between 2 Vista users

• Please log in to reply

cvrband

cvrband

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
I'd like to share one email account for my wife and I using Windows Vista Home Premium. I have us each set up as a seperate user and can't figure out how to make it possible for each of us to use/view the emails with Outlook 2007. I'm trying to set it up so we both can see the emails/contacts/calendar etc. from either user and not have to switch users to view them. Thanks for the help. John

Advertisements

ChevyManUSA

ChevyManUSA

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I am assuming this is on the same computer and you are wishing to share an e-mail account setup with Outlook 2007 between the two windows accounts?
Please correct me if I am wrong, if not please use the following advice.

Open Outlook on the windows user that has outlook setup and configured the way you want.
Click on "File" select "Data File Management..."
Select "Personal Folders", click "open folder", and write down the location of this folder.
The default for outlook data files is:
C:\Documents and Settings\USER_NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
*USER_NAME = windows user name

Log out of that user and log into the other windows account that you want to share outlook with.
Click on "File" select "Data File Management..."
Select "Personal Folders", click "open folder", and write down the location of this folder.
Now you want to click "Add..." and browse to the location you wrote down and select the proper data file.
Once selected you should click "Close", depending on how much information you have this may take awhile.

Now you will just need to setup the e-mail account settings (username, password, mail server settings, etc)
If you wish to share contacts, you will need to export those contacts and then import than to the second windows user.

Hope this helps.

-Chevyman

cvrband

cvrband

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Thanks for the reply Chevyman!

Between the time I posted and the time of your reply, I played around with the settings in Outlook 2007 and found that all I had to do was manipulate the "Data File Manager" (like you stated) to point both users to look at the same .pst file. I plan on doing the same with the contacts when I finally get time to import them.

Thanks again for your input.

John

ariboi

ariboi

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Will these steps enable mail updates... I mean to ask, if a new mail is received by one of the users, will it automatically update the outlook pst for the other user?

I have an issue but i have not the tried these particular steps yet. I have 2 operating systems on my Laptop. Can i share the outlook pst file for both the operating systems?

Thank you for the help!!!

ariboi

ariboi

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey.... the above steps are not working :) ... is there any way where i can share 1 outlook pst file by 2 Operating systems on the same Computer? :)

Thank you in advance!!! :)