Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezing, can't open any programs

• Please log in to reply

debbie1215

debbie1215

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hope you can help - having a big problem with my daughter's laptop. She is running Windows XP and for the past 3 days, it is running very very slow and it freezes up to the point where you cannot open any programs at all. You cannot even use control-alt-delete to shut down. I cannot run any virus scans or malware removal programs simply because we can't get anything to run at all. Windows boots up but that is about all. If a program does open up, freezes up within a few moments and you can't do anything else.
on another note - and I am not certain if this is at all related, but we got notification from our internet provider that within the past few days we have been majorly exceeding our bandwidth limitations. Could this be a virus on her machine which is jamming things up and using bandwidth? I am sending this from my computer simply because hers is unusable as of now. Any advice?
Thank you

Advertisements

thenihkii

thenihkii

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hey im sorry i cant give you much advice. im having the same problem! but have you tried pressing F8 at startup? that gets you into safe mode. and then you can access most programs... this has helped me out some.. but after getting to the spyware programs i had, ive deleted over 80 probs and its still freezing. good luck! hope someone can help us. lol also, after getting to safe mode... try using system restore.. its under windows<all programs<accessories<system

my comp wont let me do this.. but maybe your daughters will, and im using a desktop, not laptop.. the last option i will try is back up everything and them wipe the whole thing and start over.. but ive heard that reinstalling the windows xp cd may help.. this is all stuff ive read on tech forums. except the safe mode and system restore things. i knew that before.

Edited by thenihkii, 07 March 2009 - 06:41 PM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
debbie1215,

Are you even able to run hijackthis? If you're capable of running it, then post a log in the malware forums (I see you've been there in the past, so I assume you know what to do - let me know if you need help), and explain your issues there. If necessary, try safe mode and run hijackthis from there.

Magmagic

Magmagic

• Pip
  • 1 posts

debbie1215,

Are you even able to run hijackthis? If you're capable of running it, then post a log in the malware forums (I see you've been there in the past, so I assume you know what to do - let me know if you need help), and explain your issues there. If necessary, try safe mode and run hijackthis from there.

I imagine if she can't get ANY programs open she can't run hijack this. I'm having the same problem with my other PC as well. Thought it was a hardware issue, but as long as I don't open any programs it'll stay on all night and won't freeze AT all. So if you've got any other advice, please do share. I need my PC back! lol.

Oh and please remember folks that not everyone is so so tech savvy and try to explain how to fix this in a straight-forward non-techie manner. Else it won't help either.