Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp freezes before 2 minutes

• Please log in to reply

thenihkii

thenihkii

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hey guys.. no-one answered a similar topic so im making my own, plus im not sure that we have the same exact problem so here goes!

i have a pretty serious problem.. i know i messed up, i dled a winrar program( to transfer to other computer) and started a psp x2 on Utorrent, it mustve been my bro who dled the utorrent. well it froze so i went to bed. the next morning it was still froze, the time read 12:24 when i had left for bed.

now the problems ive realized so far are-

-freezes after like 2 minutes of running, on windows is starting up screen, or on the loggin in, or when the profile is loading up.and sometimes i have more time.
-the internet connection "magically" disappeared.
-the cd drive is blank when i look for it. cds wont work.

my mom has VERY important files on her computer so id like to save it, and my [bleep].. so im wondering if anyone has advice on preferably how to fix my computer, or how to back up documents as the cd drive isnt coming up.

also, it will only work in the safe modes. and would the go to last known good config help at all? ive tryed system restore, but when it gets to the part where it sys click next to restore, i click next but it doesnt go through. it says it may take a minute to gather the info on the date i selected...but it doesnt do it at all.

im kind of thinking reinstalling windows xp.. but im not sure it would fix it..

anyone have some ideas? thanks
also if it helps, sometimes it says " system restore can not fix this problem, please restart and try again.

and i also couldnt get into some programs on regular mode.

and ive used my adaware numerous times, removed 80 objects, and it still does this! i used cyberdefender too, but thats a load of crap. wish we had spybot on that comp.

Advertisements

thenihkii

thenihkii

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
also i tried going into help and support then pick a task and advanced system something or other to find the error log.. and theres a lot of entries that sa something like

com+ or event system

and that its unstable..

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.