Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trojan downloader/virus bomb

• Please log in to reply

jneen

jneen

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi - I've been fighting this for three days now. I bought AVG and Karpinski (this is my work laptop) and both detected multiple infections but could not clean them. I've followed the following steps in your Malware removal guide: I ran ATF cleaner (thanks, it does run better even with the virus load), erunt, superantispyware, systemrestorepoint v. 13 and malwarebytes. The first quick scan by malwarebytes found 13 infections, including 4 trojans (this was after three previous attempts to clean by AVG , Karpinski and superantispyware).

The log said that all had been quarantined and succesffuly deleted except for BHO, which required a reboot. I rebooted and started a full scan and found an infection in the first 3 minutes. It's now 50 minutes in and hasn't found another, but I thought I'd gotten rid of it all yesterday too ... I did not do the windows update (yet). I'm afraid to connect to the internet b/c of the infection and since my computer was updated automatically before this, I'm hoping I can hold off on that step. When I connect to the internet, I have little control over where my browser goes - very unnerving. I saved the log from MWB on its first quick scan, and I have downloaded and installed hijackthis, but haven't run it yet. I'm using our desktop to download files and then transferring to my laptop, which is completely disconnected from the internet.

Any help you can provide is much appreciated.

Thanks,
JNeen

Advertisements

jneen

jneen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Just as an update, I'm pretty sure I detected the source of the infection, an email saying that I have received a hallmark e-card, with a "postcard.zip" file attached. I got it on Wednesday and apparently opened it - dumb. Now, it's sitting in my inbox and I don't know what to do with it ... delete it? It's like unexploded ordinance - I don't know what to do with it.

JNeen