Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting up this network.

• Please log in to reply

MaMister

MaMister

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
I have 2 pc that connect to a router, switch and a network printer. Both can surf the internet.

There is another pc standalone without any connection ... for some reasons

I bought a colour laser for that printer and it is connected and working well.

Now I am wondering is it possible for me to connect to that printer by adding another nic on my internet pc?

I just want to use that printer but not allowing that pc to connect to the router....

Please advice.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey MaMister,

What you're suggesting would be to setup an ad-hoc network within a normal network setup environment; adding this sort of complexity really isn't recommended, and more than likely will cause parts of your network to cease functioning correctly.

Is there any particular reason why you do not want to connect the "standalone" PC to your router? This really would be the optimal solution for you.

- Dan

MaMister

MaMister

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Thanks for the reply... I too think that is a stupid idea...

It's ok as I am droping the idea....

Thanks again.