Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Computer shuts down randomly

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
My parents desktop is shutting down randomly at various, unpredictable time intervals without warning. I have automatic restart on failure disabled, but no BSOD's are being displayed, the PC simply shuts off. Restarting the computer requires that I actually turn the power off to the power supply using the on/off switch on the power supply. Until I do that I can push the power button for the pc all I want and nothing will happen, but once I toggle the PSU switch, I can push the button and the pc starts normally. I haven't noted any boot problems or other issues (pop ups, missing files, etc.). My first guess is the power supply, but confirmation or other suggestions would be greatly welcome. I am decent at troubleshooting but am still a novic e when troubleshooting these kinds of problems.

The PC is a custom build as follow:

P4 @ 3.4ghz, low end mother board, 2 gb ram, low end ATI graphics. Nothing fancy, the pc used primarily for web surfing, word processing, email and simple, non-resource demanding games (yahoo, etc).

Thanks for your help.