Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Certain websites, like facebook, will only display in text only mode

• Please log in to reply

Seffnot

Seffnot

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
I'm experiencing quite an annoying problem. The sites I frequent most are not displaying properly in any of the browsers I use: IE, Firefox, Safari.
The sites I frequent are: msn.com (hotmail), yahoo answers, facebook, and the comedynetwork.ca. Yahoo, MSN, and Facebook will actually load, except they take an extremely long time (like back to the dial up days) and they only display an abridged, text only version. There are no colors, backgrounds, and mostly no pictures. It's the same with all three browsers. I'm on Vista home premium.

They were working last night. I left a Firefox browser with some of these sites open last night. Woke up this morning and now none of them work. I tried a system restore without success. I tried deleting cookies, and clearing the cache. I tried turning off firewalls and anti-virus programs. I even tried visiting the sites on a virtual drive that has XP on it. There are supposedly no files shared between XP and the host OS Vista. Nothing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This behaviour is typically caused by a corrupt Windows user account.
Make a new account from the User Accounts section of Control Panel, log into it and try the same sites again under the various browsers.

Seffnot

Seffnot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you SO much!
I thought this was going to take forever to figure out.
Fortunately, your suggestion worked. :)
If you could explain it a little further, just to satisfy my curiosity, that would be cool.
but in any case, thank you. :)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Not really a lot to explain.
Accounts get corrupt for a million and one different reasons and while accounts typically go bad over time, it's not unheard of for them to be working one day, shut the system down and then find it's been screwed up the next day thanks to Windows.
Windows is good at screwing things up.

silkymist

silkymist

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hope you can help me....I have this same problem after a power outage. I tried the new account but it didn't work. This is very aggravating.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
You don't really have to delete the whole account...

I think deleting the Firefox profile alone would be fine.

RayInLV

RayInLV

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am now having the same problem. New User made no difference. Actually restored system back to 2 different dates where Facebook worked fine and the problem persisted.

When the Backups did not fix the issue, the thought process really becomes confusing.... What could it be?

Edited by RayInLV, 10 February 2011 - 10:37 PM.

RayInLV

RayInLV

• Pip
  • 2 posts
In my case it turned out to be K9 protection. For some reason it was out of date.

crocdoc

crocdoc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Has anyone found a solution to this issue, yet? It's been happening to me and a quick search around the web has made it clear it has happened to many people, but no one has a fix that works (yes, I've tried clearing the cache, resetting the page style, setting up a new user account etc).

If it were just facebook I'd just can facebook (I don't really need to be on there), but it seems to also be happening to a few other sites as well, now.

Anyone?

jbh001

jbh001

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Corrupt user account might be the problem on Windows, but what about a Mac? I finding the same problem with Facebook and PayPal displaying in a text only mode, like it failed to grab a CSS file from somewhere when it tries to load.

My set up is Mac OS 10.6.7, Safari 5.0.5.

Things that had no effect on the problem:
Clearing the cache
Clearing the history
Reinstalling Safari

Other oddities: the problem occurs when accessing Facebook from https://www.facebook.com; accessing Facebook from http://www.facebook.com works fine.

Advertisements

jbh001

jbh001

• Pip
  • 2 posts
The problems occurs when using Mac OS Parental Controls. Although one can whitelist http://www.facebook.com and https://www.facebook.com Facebook also pulls page information from other addresses like channel.facebook.com. There are too many of these auxiliary *.facebook.com addresses to whitelist them all, and whitelisting https://*.facebook.com has no effect.

My daughter's Facebook account was hacked a few days ago, but after switching the Facebook settings to require it to use a secure connection, it would only display in "text" mode.

For now the solution was to switch the Parental Controls Web Restrictions from Try to limit access to adult sites automatically to Allow unrestricted access to websites.

Edited by jbh001, 23 April 2011 - 08:45 AM.

madiou

madiou

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm having the exact same problem. Facebook appears only in text and the links don't work either. The problem persists throughout all the browsers I have (Firefox, Chrome, Safari), and has not resolved through the methods suggested thus far. I've rebooted, cleared cache, toggled Firewall, etc. Help would be greatly appreciated.

I should add that I am on a Macbook Pro, Mac OS X 10.6.8.

Edited by madiou, 31 July 2011 - 04:42 AM.

madiou

madiou

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've found a workaround. I used my iPhone to log in and disable secure browsing in Facebook. This means that FB loads with http now rather than https. But this problem has come right out of the blue and the workaround isn't ideal at all. Thoughts on this irritating quandary would be most welcome.

ShivaPrasanna

ShivaPrasanna

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Same is the situation here..
i've been having this problem since yesterday...
i dont see any difference in changing the browsers(chrome, firefox, internet explorer)

tried almost all possible solutions like
re-installing the browsers
re-installing java & flash
cleared cookies & history & temp files
system restore options
logged in using a new account
even fixed registry errors
but no response.... :unsure:

sometimes facebook loads good.. but thumbnails(wall photos & apps logo)dont appear

i think reinstalling the operating system(XP) is the only solution so far...

any help before i crash things up???
:)

amey rane

amey rane

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:unsure: hey guys i am also finding it difficult to run sites like facebook and apple...please help me i have ubuntu 10.10 and i hv chrome,firefox...i tried all the things mentioned above....please,help me out...
it looks like the images are crashed while loading... :)