Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mathcad 2001i in Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply

Adam Copley

Adam Copley

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all,

I'm having a problem with MathCad 2001i. I recently bough a new computer using Vista and MathCad refuses to run. I double click the application and get the following error message:

"Failed to update the system registry. Please try using REGEDIT."

Followed by:

"Failed to create function manager."

MathCad then opens but most parts seem not to work. (I haven't got very far but it won't recognise any entered variables).

Is there a fix for this? I'm not familiar with the registry editor so any help would be appreciated. If MathCad isn't supported in Vista, is there any way I can get it running on my computer short of downgrading to XP?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ok, Mathcad v13 and greater supports vista. I don't know if your version will run on it at all, even if you enable compatibility mode and disable UAC.

Upgrade to Mathcad 14 from version 11, 2001i, 2001 or 2000 is available for a reasonable price.

http://www.ptc.com/p...rade-center.htm

Adam Copley

Adam Copley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Many thanks, I have since played around with compatibility settings and seem to have got things working - I ran the MathCAD executable under Windows 2000 settings and had no joy but when I set up the regtool.exe (which registers the components required for MathCAD) with the same settings and ran it, MathCAD magically works!

Either way, I'm happy! Still considering upgrading though, not sure to what extent this will fix things.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Good to hear. only 200$ for the upgrade. I don't know when they will upgrade to the next version of mathcad, but when they do, upgrade from you version may or may not be supported.

dalton979

dalton979

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i currently have mathcad 2001i and use it for open university study, if i upgrade it to r14 will it still run the software i need for the course or does the program change in anyway? i am aksing as i currently run the program no probs in vista 32bit but i am about to go 64bit and want to make sure i can run the software without problems as the course relies on me having this software running. any help/advise is greatly recieved

js2

js2

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have searched the www and found only Adam's report of success installing Mathcad 2001i in Vista.

I tried to run Mathcad and Regtool with compatibility set to windows 2000 without success..
I get a message: "you must unload the debugger to run this program"

Any Ideas?

Dalton979 you have probably purchased a new machine since your june post - my guess is that you are still trying to get mathcad to run.... if you found the key to installing 2001i on Vista I would really appreciate a hint.

thanks to all who post helpful suggestions.. (something other than buying my fifth unsupported mathcad package)
js