Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgraded video driver and now the screen flickers or occasionally goes

• Please log in to reply

somegirl21

somegirl21

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi.. My friend recently upgraded my video driver on my laptop (it's an Acer 5600), and everything seemed pretty normal, but now every one in a while, the screen does this weird flickering thing and it will sometimes just go blank. When it goes blank, it used to be different colors, like a peach color, but now lately it's just been going black. I know my computer doesn't freeze when it happens because if I have music playing, I can press stop on my keyboard and the music will stop playing.

I tried to rollbac the drivers, but my old one isn't there anymore.

My friend told me that I need to reinstall the original driver (I don't know how/where to find it), he could reinstall windows, or I could restore my computer back to a point before I upgraded it. I'm not quite sure if I wanted to trust the advice from my friend (afterall, he DID kind of mess up my computer.. it was perfectly fine before), so I thought I would get a second opinion.

Please help me! =) Thank you very much!!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Was there any particular reason to upgrade the driver?
Where did the driver come from?
Did you go to Acer site to get original driver?

somegirl21

somegirl21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Um, well, this is going to sound kind of lame, but I got this game, and my computer was too slow to run it, and I thought that maybe if I updated the video driver, then it would run faster and I would be able to play..

My friend that upgraded it was the one that found it (he's supposedly good at computers but now I'm a little hesistant to have him fix it), and I'm not sure where he got it, but I assumed he knew what he was doing.

The original driver that I had before I updated the new video driver was just the one that came with the computer when I got it originally. I never tried to update it before or anything like that at all. I tried going to the Acer website to find the old one or something I could get to fix the problem, but I wasn't sure which one to get and I didn't want to just try something new in case I made the problem worse..

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Here: http://www.acerpanam...id=3394#results
You have to check Device Manager, if you have Intel, or ATI video chip:
VGA ATI - Driver v8.231
VGA Intel - Driver v6.14.10.4436

somegirl21

somegirl21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I think the driver that was updated was the "Display Adaptor" Mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family

I'm not sure where to find the two you listed though..

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Go to my link, select Notebook from first drop-down menu, select Acer 5600 from the second drop-down menu, and there you'll see VGA Intel - Driver v6.14.10.4436 (double check in Device Manager, if Intel is listed as your display adapter)

somegirl21

somegirl21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I uninstalled my old driver and reinstalled the one you recommended. So far everything seems good! Thanks!!!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Good job! :)