Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Won't recognize external hard drive

• Please log in to reply

lavenderflames

lavenderflames

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a new 320gb external hard drive I'm trying to transfer files to from my Dell Dimension running Vista. I plug in the USB cord and it pops up saying "USB Mass Storage Device Found" and it installed the drivers. But it's not listed under My Computer, hasn't been assigned a drive letter, and I can't find a way to transfer things or view content. I can see in the taskbar it is still connected because it gives me a Safely Remove Hardware option and I tried it out on two other friends laptops and it worked fine. I've been perusing through it's properties forever and can't figure this out. Help?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you format the drive?

lavenderflames

lavenderflames

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It won't even recognize it for me to be able to do that. Unless there's a way I don't know about

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Go Start. In "Start search", type in:
diskmgmt.msc
Hit Enter.

Disk Management window will open.
Can you see the drive there?

lavenderflames

lavenderflames

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes. It's the first one listed, it says it has an EISA Configuration, but it hasn't been assigned a letter and all I can do is view it's properties

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I assume, there is something else shown beside EISA Configuration partition, which is recovery partition.
What else can see there?
Can you post a screenshot?

lavenderflames

lavenderflames

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Here's the screenshot. C, D, and E are all my current ones. I've got to assume the external is the unassigned one. Thanks!

http://img.photobuck.../screenshot.jpg

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Disk 0:

Posted Image

is your primary hard drive. Don't touch.
EISA partition is Dell partition that contain utilities that can be accessed from the BIOS or by a special boot choice during startup. Don't touch.

Disk 2 is your external drive. It doesn't show full size, because it's not formatted.
Right click on it, and see, if it gives you "Format" option.

Edited by Broni, 08 March 2009 - 09:20 PM.