Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newb here trying to repair XP but failing

• Please log in to reply

Fma1416

Fma1416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Okay, something unexpected happened. I'll just copy it for you to see.

CAUTION: A \WINDOWS folder already exists that may contain a Windows installation. If you continue, the existing Windows installation will be overwritten.

All files, subfolders, user accounts, applications, security and desktop settings for that Windows installation will be deleted. The "My Documents" may also be deleted.

It gives me the options to use the folder and delete the existing Windows installation, use a different folder, or quit setup.

BTW, I appreciate all the help you've been giving me, much better than paying Geek Squad to tell me something I already know.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
True, "My Documents" folder will be overwritten, so if you have some important files there, you may go for installation in different folder (parallel install), and we can deal with removing old Windows installation, later.

Fma1416

Fma1416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Where do you think I should install it? I can't really remember any folders also.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
It'll give you an option to select some name. Name it Windows1, for instance.

Fma1416

Fma1416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Oh, I thought it meant to put it in a folder that already existed. :)

Fma1416

Fma1416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Setup has determined that drive C: is corrupted and canot be repaired.

Setup cannot continue. To quit setup, press F3.

http://cache.gizmodo...wson-crying.jpg

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Well, it looks like have hard drive problem.
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Do you have any important data there?

Fma1416

Fma1416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Sorry, I have no idea where to locate the hard drive on my computer. It's a Dell Dimension 8200 that my father bought about 9 years ago, so I'm completely clueless on the hardware setup. And my father's even more clueless.

And I could live without the memory, I just couldn't live happily without it. :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Go to Dell site, enter your computer service tag number (it should be located on a sticker on the computer), and you should find out what brand of hard drive you have.
Alternatively, you can post that number here, and I'll help you.

Fma1416

Fma1416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
There's one sticker on the side called the Windows XP Home Edition Certificate of Authenticity with the Service Key and a few other numbers which I don't think have anything to do with Hard Drive, but I'll post them anyway.

05D481

00043-420-787-054

X08 73061

No point in posting the product key.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
For some reason, your service tag doesn't work.
I can't find any info regarding hard drive manufacturer at Dell's site. Some other search makes me believe, it's Seagate drive, but let's doublecheck.

Download, and install Everest: http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html
Open it.
In upper menu, go Report>Quick Report-Summary
Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Don't include anything under the line Debug - PCI

Fma1416

Fma1416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I failed to mention before that my sister's laptop which shares the same network had the same problem as my computer a day after mine crashed, having the same problem of staying at the booting screen. She took it to Geek Squad and paid $80, to replace the hard drive I believe. Now works fine, and we just use our neighbor's router currently.

Before I download it, do you mean I'm supposed to put it on a CD and use it on the broken computer?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yes.

Fma1416

Fma1416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Sorry it's been almost two weeks since my last reply, I needed to aquire a blank CD. Okay, I downloaded everest onto the CD, tested it out on this computer, but one thing I'm confused about is how will the program run on the computer without a working operating system on it?

Also, you want me to leave out Debug - PCI, but do you want me to keep in Debug - Video BIOS, and Debug - Unknown?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

how will the program run on the computer without a working operating system on it?

Hmmmm...I wasn't thinking clearly, I guess. Sorry for that.

Get SeaTools for DOS v2.13b (Graphical) (12.16.2008) from http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
It'll make bootable CD. See, if it's gonna run.