Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newb here trying to repair XP but failing

• Please log in to reply

Fma1416

Fma1416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I actually got the disk to run, which definitely brought my hopes up, but now it says a failure was detected during the short test and a long test is suggested. I don't know if that's the best option, as well as it's 10:30 currently, and I read the test is pretty long.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
It is long but you should do it. Please report with the results whenever you get the chance to run the long diagnostic. This appears to be a hard drive problem we are dealing with.

Fma1416

Fma1416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
The long test showed 78 errors, repaired them all, and the short test after that said it passed the test.

Now the computer starts at the 2 second Dell loading screen, and skips the boot screen with all the safe mode options and such, and goes straight to the XP loading screen, then starts over in a never ending cycle. I think XP is working, so I don't know what the problem is now.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Do you have a Windows CD? If not, then click on Recovery Console Instructions in my sig, and burn one.
Then click on Repair Common Windows Startup Problems in my sig and follow the instructions using your Windows Cd or the one you burnt.

Fma1416

Fma1416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Completed all the steps with my windows CD, and unfortunately does the same thing, only now it asks me to from OS "Windows XP Home Edition" (which is what I named the one I just worked on) and "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition". Clicking either brings me to the black screen, then reboots the computer.

Also, clicking F8 gives me the options:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable VGA Mode
Last Known Good Configuration
Directory Services Restore Mode
Debugging Mode
Disable Automatic Restart on system failure

Start Windows Normally
Reboot
Return to OS Choices Menu

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Boot using your Windows CD or the CD you burnt and go into the recovery console. Choose a Windows installation and enter the admin password. Then run the command:
chkdsk /r
This will take a long time and DO NOT interrupt the process.

Do you have important files on your hard drive... we may have to reformat. (But we can still recover all the files before reformatting)

Fma1416

Fma1416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
No luck, does the same thing. BTW, when it told me to choose which installation, I just put 1.

It's no important documents, nothing of cash value, but it's a lot of personal stuff that I was really worried about losing, that's why I didn't answer for such long periods the past few months. But then I realized I'm not gonna get it back by leaving the brick on a desk forever to dust, so I just want to get it over with.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
What I am thinking now is to recover your files and then do a reformat and reinstall.
The recovery can be done with Linux... click on Backup Files Without Windows in my sig, and follow the directions.

Fma1416

Fma1416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Is there any chance there are some viruses still on the computer I could copy onto my USB drive? Or did the previous hard drive fix solve any possible problems?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Is there any chance there are some viruses still on the computer I could copy onto my USB drive?

I don't think that this problem happened b/c of an infection. If you want to be safe, don't backup archives (.zip, .rar) or executables (.exe)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also do not backup any files with the following extension
.scr
.html

These can transfer virus's also

Fma1416

Fma1416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I thought it was cause of something I picked up when downloading a file. 3-4 months before it happened, I started downloading a lot of things without any real virus protection.

Also, the computer I'm using now is running vista, and has that USB scan thing to check if a drive is safe, so if somehow I do pick something up, do you think that will protect it?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You should be safe... but be very careful with what you backup. Don't backup anything with the extensions me and rshaffer told you.

Fma1416

Fma1416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Downloads taking quite a while, the closest location to download Ubuntu was in Georgia and I live in Miami, and using a neighbors connection doesn't help either.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Being you said it could be caused by something you downloaded you may want to go thru malware forum and make sure you are clean.

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here