Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newb here trying to repair XP but failing

• Please log in to reply

rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
If you are using a Dell xp cd, (says dell right on it) dont worry about the keys. It wont even ask for them. You must use the Dell cd only on a Dell computer. Thats the cool thing about Dell and HP and others (its called OEM).

Edited by rosiesdad, 24 August 2009 - 07:42 PM.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

If you are using a Dell xp cd, (says dell right on it) dont worry about the keys. It wont even ask for them. You must use the Dell cd only on a Dell computer. Thats the cool thing about Dell and HP and others (its called OEM).

Correct... you should have a sticker on your case with the serial number too.
It will look like this: http://www.technibbl...cod-sticker.jpg

After a reformat, no viruses should remain on your computer.

Fma1416

Fma1416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Alright, I did a format completely following edge's website guidelines, and the setup supposedly worked, but surprisingly, it still has the same usernames. I clicked on mine, and it even still has the same desktop, except that whenever I click any user, it only shows the desktop and that's it, allowing me to leave only by ctrl+alt+delete. Restarted and it's the same thing.

Definitely going to need some help with this.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Are you sure you selected Format (NTFS)?

Fma1416

Fma1416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Oh crap, I just realized I chose repair. Should I delete the partition containing all the data and make a new one?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just redo the steps Edge gave you and this time have it format using NTFS and do a fresh install.
This should erase everything on the partition and load windows fresh without anything from the old install.

Fma1416

Fma1416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
It's working great...I believe this may finally be the end of it.

http://i20.photobuck...-r/BisonYes.jpg

I'd like to thank everyone who helped throughout this entire ordeal, especially when I held off things for long periods of time simply because I was afraid of losing the data. If I ever have any troubles again I'll be sure to come back here, and I'll be recommending this place to other people as well.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Looks like all is well then! :)