Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't connect to router any more?!?

• Please log in to reply

satan_indeed

satan_indeed

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Have a speedtouch 121g 802.11 wireless card connected to my pc. Moved into a new flat a couple of weeks ago. Connected up to the router (which is the landlords) with no problems after putting in the password. Today though, for no apparent reason, it can't find the wireless router (it's an apple router). My flatmate is connecting to it fine though, and I've managed to connect to another unsecured router (which I can only guess is one of my neighbours) which I'm using now, but it's not ideal as the signal is weak!

In the wireless card settings, I've tried scanning umpteen times to find the router, but it's only coming up with my neighbour's unsecured network.

Any ideas on how I can get it to find the router again? I'm actually thinking of going to the shops tomorrow and buying a new wireless card to see if that works!

I'm using XP if that helps?!

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey satan_indeed -- welcome to G2G :)

This may sound like a stupid question, but have you restarted your laptop since you began experiencing this issue? If a wireless network is added to the Blocked List, for whatever reason, then it will no longer be displayed in the available wireless networks list. Restarting your machine (or the WZC service) would clear the Blocked List.

Either way, if your adapter is picking up other networks, I highly doubt you need a new one. Please try the following steps.

Step 1 - Remove your wireless profile:
  • Click Start, select Run, type ncpa.cpl and press OK
  • In the new window, right-click on your Wireless Network Connection and select Properties.
  • Select the Wireless Networks tab.
  • Click on your network's SSID and then press the Remove button.
Step 2 - Re-install your network adapter:
Please do the following -- *Note: You may need your Network adapter drivers CD in order to complete these steps.
  • Click Start, select Run, type devmgmt.msc and press OK
  • In the Device Manager, expand Network adapters
  • Under Network adapters, right-click your network adapter and select Uninstall.
  • Restart your computer; upon reboot, Windows will detect New Hardware and ask you to install your network adapter; please proceed to do so.
Try to scan for networks and then connect (you will need to re-enter the encryption passphrase). Can you connect?

Thanks,
- Dan