Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no sound after installing xp home

• Please log in to reply

aaaa44

aaaa44

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
40G HD: Western Digital WD400, enhanced ide
XP Home SP3
Motherboard: Elite Group ECS, P4M900T-M2, Socket 775, supports 4G RAM, integrated graphics and video recorder, accommodates two DDR2 unbuffered DIMMS
Intel Celeron Dual Core E1200, 1.6Ghz, 512k, 800MB, OEM, Advanced Performance Series Allendale Socket 775
Crucial 1024MB PC4200 DDR2 533MHz
Avast Scanner, Comodo firewall, Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware, CCleaner

I just installed XP Home on an old hd. There's no sound from my headphones, so I went into Device Manager and there are question marks next to Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus and Video Controller (VGA Compatible). I double clicked each of these and clicked Reinstall Driver and got a message each time saying:Can't install this hardware. The hardware was not installed because the wizard can not find the necessary software. Thanks for any replies.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

I double clicked each of these and clicked Reinstall Driver

Don't even bother.
You have to go to your computer manufacter, download, and install chipset, and video drivers (in that order).

aaaa44

aaaa44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
So I go to Microsoft.com and what do I do from there? I need clear steps because I haven't downloaded from that site before. Thanks.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Not to Microsoft. To your computer maker site.
What's your computer brand, and model?

aaaa44

aaaa44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
I replaced the motherboard, so do I just run the motherboard auto installation cd that came with the motherboard and go through the installation steps?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Exactly.

aaaa44

aaaa44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
I ran through the motherboard installation steps, and now the sound works. Thanks for the help.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Super :)
What about that video thingy?