Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
I want to buy more memory for my pc. How can I find out what memory to buy. My system rans XP. Where do I look for this info.

Thank you

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
It is very simple,

This is a great way to find out the kind of RAM (memory) you have and how much of it your motherboard will support. Upgrading your RAM is the most cost-efficient way to increasing your computers speed and performance. Each RAM module can cost anywhere from $15-$40, depending on what kind your motherboard requires, for most basic users.

Go to www.crucial.com. Use their Online System Scanner, it should be on their home page.

After this, Crucial should have recommended what the maximum amount your computer can handle and the specifications on the kind of RAM you should purchase. Don't know where to buy it? Crucial, Newegg, Geeks.com are the places I look.

Also, check out this guide by Artellos if you are looking to increase system performance/speed. What makes your machine slow?

Ask questions if need be!

Edited by Ferrari, 09 March 2009 - 12:26 AM.