Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

memory

• Please log in to reply

rigs

rigs

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
I want to buy more memory for my pc. How can I find out what memory to buy. My system rans XP. Where do I look for this info.

Thank you

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
It is very simple,

This is a great way to find out the kind of RAM (memory) you have and how much of it your motherboard will support. Upgrading your RAM is the most cost-efficient way to increasing your computers speed and performance. Each RAM module can cost anywhere from $15-$40, depending on what kind your motherboard requires, for most basic users.

Go to www.crucial.com. Use their Online System Scanner, it should be on their home page.

After this, Crucial should have recommended what the maximum amount your computer can handle and the specifications on the kind of RAM you should purchase. Don't know where to buy it? Crucial, Newegg, Geeks.com are the places I look.

Also, check out this guide by Artellos if you are looking to increase system performance/speed. What makes your machine slow?

Ask questions if need be!

Edited by Ferrari, 09 March 2009 - 12:26 AM.