Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Poor me needs Help!

• Please log in to reply

magia

magia

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey all, i've finally given up trying to figure out application errors and the refrencing memory problem..

My computer crashed badly recently and i had to reinstall windows.. so i decided to move up from win xp sp1 to sp2...

Only problem is i got a big problem with certain folders..

I did not do a clean format of the HDD as i dint want to lose any information and hence out of the three partitions in my hard disk.. I only formatted and installed windows in my usual c:\.

Everything works fine but for two problems:
1) the first, is that i cant seem to hear any sound.. when i play music... It seems to play but nothing comes from my speakers.. All my drivers are signed and win xp compatabile (Using a NF7s2 motherboard -onboard Nvidia Nforce2 soundcard).. But the sound issue is not so much my concern since i have yet to open up my computer and check and see if any of the wiring came loose..

2) My second and primary concern, is that i cant seem to open any folder with large media fles (avi, ogg, etc)... Everytime i try to open a folder containing large quantities of media files i get a polite message "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience"..
If i ignore the message and try to open another sub-folder, the sub-folder will open up along with the message "Explorer. exe Application error: The instruction at "0x00000000" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read"
I thought this had something to do with the lack of Virtual Ram so i increased the page file on each drive.. minimum of 2 mb and max of 1600mb on each... Still doesnt work for me..
Funnily enough, i can open all the media files, if i ignore the first warning and the Application error... but that doesnt really matter though since i cant hear the sound anyway...

PLEASE Help me out people !! Thanks alot.

Advertisements

magia

magia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok in regards to the sound problem.. i managed to resolve that..

It was pretty simple and my conclusion is that i am either
a) color blind, or
b) i am a highly persistent idiot...

I think i must have disconnected and reconnected the speaker wires into the wrong port at least 5 times... had to pull out the computer from the corner into the light before i finally saw which was green and which was light blue...

So now my only problem is regarding the Application error... Any takers?

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
not sure how to solve the errors but i can give you a couple of tips on the VM (page file) . You should set the min. setting to equal yur max setting...in your case both should be 1600. also move yur VM off of yur boot partition...this will increase your performance a little since the page file will be on a different drive than your OS files...also i'm not too familiar with xp but I know the max setting on W2K for VM setting should be 720.